First Time lambing, ewe seems iffy on one of the lambs?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, sometimes ewes walk away while lambs are nursing. But if she is not letting him nurse at all, that’s different. Putting them in a small pen will give you opportunity to observe better

Henetk1100

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve seen them all occasionally move around while nursing but it seems she is deliberately moving every time he tries to nurse. I did notice him trying to nurse off my other ewe which I thought was strange but now I’m thinking she’s either dried up for some reason or something else is going on with her. I did feel around and her bag doesn’t feel hard or hot but it seems smaller than it should be.

I am going to grab some milk replacer and a bottle and start feeding him to be sure he’s eating. I’m going to leave him with her otherwise as they are bonded and she’s still attached to him.

How often should he be feeding at 2 weeks? Hoping he can make it through the night without a feed at this point. But obviously I’ll feed as often as I have to 😊

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Look at @Baymule's recipe for lamb milk so you don't have to buy milk replacer... maybe 3 times a day should be good at 2 weeks, especially if he is sneaking some off another ewe... 2-6 ounces at a time... and if possible, get her trapped in the corner and try to milk her, not just feel the udder... if she is drying herself up, then she would be a candidate to sell.... sorry fact of life, but if she can't raise at least one, then her value is not much as a herd animal. This is not the ewe that had the twins and was favoring the first one?

You are doing good with first time lambing, noticing things and wanting to take care of it rather than just "letting nature take it's course"....

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Guessing this is your first time lambing (vs you’ve done it before and it’s the ewe’s first time).
You might find Sandy Brock on YouTube has good info. Not on this particular ewe, but overall lambing. Check her out - Sandy Brock Sheepishly Me. She is a sheep farmer.