Can I milk my doe

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You sure can! The first few days, maybe week, will not be a true taste due to colostrum ( thicker, sweeter)...if you're milking her it will clear it faster as she'll stop producing it. Absolutely milk her. ☺️

Save/freeze the first milk in case you need colostrum & first few days of richer milk for a future kid....or calf, foal, etc.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I generally wait at least 2 weeks. I tried some after about a week once - barfola! But, I think it may possibly vary from doe to doe. Taste test is in order, lol!

BellaM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I generally wait at least 2 weeks. I tried some after about a week once - barfola! But, I think it may possibly vary from doe to doe. Taste test is in order, lol!
😂😂😂

When you say you wait 2 weeks, do you start milking straight away but only use the milk (for human consumption) after 2 weeks?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I generally wait two weeks until I start milking - but that's if the doe has live kids that are consuming the milk (and keeping her lactating).

In your case, you will need to milk daily to keep her production up. You could always keep the milk and freeze it for future babies if you don't want to "waste" it. My dogs enjoy a little bit over their kibble. Pigs love it and even chickens will drink it. Makes good tomato fertilizer too.

BellaM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I generally wait two weeks until I start milking - but that's if the doe has live kids that are consuming the milk (and keeping her lactating).

In your case, you will need to milk daily to keep her production up. You could always keep the milk and freeze it for future babies if you don't want to "waste" it. My dogs enjoy a little bit over their kibble. Pigs love it and even chickens will drink it. Makes good tomato fertilizer too.
Awesome, thank you for the info! 🤗