Please help is this just first sign of labor in my goat?

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have a doe who had pregnancy toxemia. We induced her yesterday at 7pm with dexomethasone and gave her a second dose tonight. Since 11 she has been acting restless, pawing the ground, getting up and down. Sometimes she has been pushing, but only for a little bit then stops for awhile. Is this just the first sign of kidding or does she need help repositioning? Should I go in her? I have never had a goat induced before and I am a little worried.

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She still has not kidded. We gave her a second shot of dex 24 hours later. No kids. This morning we gave her some lutalyse, still nothing. Does it usually take two doses of lutalyse to induce?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd check with the vet that got you the drugs. Expectations might depend on dose they told you to use.
I think lute and estrumate can take 12-36, sometimes 48 hours to induce so you are still within the window.
Make sure she's getting enough sweet feed or similar while she's in the stall. She needs energy to kid.

I suspect she will kid for you within the next 24 hours.

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Vet said she should kid in 24 hours. She will not really eat sweet feed. All she likes now is lots of water and some hay. We have been giving her a niacin energy drench the past few days.

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Not really, at least not anything definite. I tried to go in but only got part of my hand in, so not fully opened yet. She gets up and moves, paws the straw, etc. She has been doing that since Monday. Her top by her hip bones is more hollowed out though. No major mucus yet. I heard that it can take 12, 15, or 24 hours for the lute to work. Hopefully they will come before 10:30 tomorrow, that is the 24 hour mark since we gave the lute.

Latest posts