Callie Pups!New homes & Teaching Moments

Do you think DNA will show any Toli/Pyr crosses?

• Yes

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Meaghan

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@Southern by choice: Sorry, been busy painting our house! The odds of 11 being boys is about 0.049% (0.5^11). The lottery is definitely looking favorable now. :lol:

Sorry to hear you lost the last one. :(

The rest are adorable, and I'm sure that Callie is doing well now that all of those boys are out!:th

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
How the lil guys doing? And, you mentioned something about a game?

OH....and....something about Ms. Callie having some 'splaining to do? Inquiring minds wanna know! :D

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I am tired.... there is a reason!

WARNING LONG POST!

Well it has been a ride! A VERY LONG couple of days. I am not sure where to start.

A lot of “firsts” in over 30 years I have been in canines. One of them being we almost lost Callie last night. :hit
First I guess I will start from the beginning. Usually first is a good place to start. LOL;)

As many of you know from reading the first post we have been trying for Callie “D” pups for a LONG time. This heat cycle I separated watched days etc, put them together and still figured it never took.:hu
Callie always goes CUJO when D tries to mate with her. So we were so happy to discover she was pregnant.:)

Here is where I hang my head in SHAME.:hide
Here is a “first”. They are not “D”s pups! They are Arkados pups (Tiggs). I never separated Tiggs because he was such a pup still and never in all my years have I seen a LARGE breed dog mate successfully at 7 months. When the 2nd pup was born it was clear. The day before I had said jokingly, well if we see any brindle's then well know (it takes a dble gene that a pyr wouldn't have) and then D and Cal and Tiggs will all have some splainin' to do! Knowing the parent stock of all the toli's I knew yep they are all toli's.
Although I did suspect the Kiko Moses there for a second... but alas, no horns.:p

After the shame and shock and disbelief and a little disappointment a) I realized D's junk must be broke. b) I now have to go ahead and get D tested (sperm counts) or DNA test all the pups. Really I don't need to but time will tell. Never has this happened to me as I am careful, methodical and very over the top. Then I started thinking Tiggs must be a super potent dog! LOL And in the end I end up with pure Anatolians, that is not so bad. I really hadn't planned on breeding Tiggs and Callie, not why I got him, but a future litter was always an option but not a priority.

I made the calls to those that were waiting. So not only are they not Callie D pups but I have no females! LOL I am not one to do the “who's your daddy” game. It appears we have 5 Pinto and 5 possible Brindle, 1 of the Brindle should be a light the other 4 dark.

Now to get to the rest...

Callie did great, had them outside til after the seventh pup and we moved her in. On the 8th pup she started to crash... you all know the story already... we got calcium in her gave the oxy and she had several more. She was doing ok and we watched her. A fantastic mom! Then at 1 am Monday Callie became unresponsive. I am waking DH up Calling one of my vets and getting ready to run her to the emergency clinic an hour away... Vet call back we go over everything … was able to get her responsive and pumped Calcium into her... and fluids. My Vet was so great! I did glove up and check cervix too.... Long night … at 6 am went through the whole Calcium, fluids again.

Some of you are familiar with milk fever in goats... it is basically the same thing. NEVER have I seen this in all my years in dogs! I cannot even count how many litters I have been a part of (from kennel days, vet clinic days and family members that breed) In my personal whole whopping 3 litters never! Callie's diet is not deficient so this was a shock. The thought of losing Callie has been terrifying. Truth is this will be a long road and she will be constantly monitored. She sleeps 5 ft from me and I get up every 3 hours to check her.

My Vet is not big on LGD's as so many LGD people do not care well for their dogs. When Vet called this am to check on Callie we talked and I was paid a very nice compliment. “If this was anyone else, this dog would have already been dead. You watch your animals and know them and catch anything off. It is because you are with your dogs.” Many of you don't know but I get a good deal of flack in the LGD world because I do do things differently. There is a reason I bring the dogs in after they whelp, and they stay in for 3 weeks... a reason I acclimate to the home. These dogs are the most loyal, committed, valuable animals on my farm. Everyday they are entrusted to guard and protect thousands of dollars of livestock, and our beloved goats, poultry, property and home. They deserve the respect, care, and loyalty and love in return. They are not just a dog. I trust my dogs, they trust me. It is a mutually beneficial partnership.

So there ya have it. I really prayed about all of this and even sorta had a pity party. Yes, I confess this... I whined , cried, complained to a friend... I don't mill dogs out, I care greatly for them, I go the extra mile, why is “D” not producing? How could Tiggs get the job done so young and uncoordinated... why the eclampsia (hypocalcaemia). All I can do is give it to God and know He has all wisdom and will direct my path in this. I have started looking at it from another perspective... not what I thought, not what I had planned... but God is good and right now I have 10 incredibly healthy purebred Anatolian Male puppies! LOL

These boys are gonna be huge! Callie is a very large female and Tiggs is only 9 months and he is huge. These pups are a blessing! These pups also have their own little personalities and will be a handful to record all their behaviors and traits. We have one that I can tell you is a real dominant boy... bulldozes his way through the pups and kicks them off a teat. He is strong. Yet other pups that say NO way I am NOT letting go. One that whines about everything it is unhappy about, and one that is always chilled out laying on his back. One is demanding and actually went Ruff ruff when a pup wouldn't move over!

I am going to surely be challenged!

I have lots of pics and hope to share my journey with this crazy group with you!

Oh, and Callie is passing gas so bad right know she is blowing me out of the house. We are having to cook for the spoiled brat so she will eat well. Vet even said... spoiled!

I have individual pics but I will post them later... for now a few of my favorites!
SAM_4426.JPG
SAM_4439.JPG
SAM_4442.JPG
SAM_4445.JPG
SAM_4449.JPG
SAM_4450.JPG
SAM_4451.JPG

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, and Callie is passing gas so bad right know she is blowing me out of the house.
:lol:

I'm glad Callie is okay :hugs Thank God you take such good care of your animals and could get the vet out in time!

I hope you can get some rest because we're going to need more puppy pictures soon ;)

And don't you have goat kids on the way soon as well? Gonna need pics of them too! :pop:caf

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you. :hugs
The vet never needed to come out we generally have everything we need here but I will have the Vet out Wed I hope. Or I will go in Tuesday. Rear dewclaws need removed and that way Callie can get a check too. I do not have any purple top tubes and I want to send in blood.

Yes! 2 goats due! They can go anytime... of course they will wait til Wed night when it is 13 degrees out! LOL

Just pulled pups off Callie for a bit! Gonna snooze for a few hours! ;)