Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
likie saying how wonderful it is to reach your "GOLDEN YEARS".....
DH says they call it the "golden years" because it takes all your gold to live thrugh them.
makes me wish that he had at least had one kid.... no grandkids to carry on after I am gone.... Oh well, a reason for everything.
Your DS would have been a good daddy. GF and GFS are lucky he is willing to be a good daddy figure to their kids. He is a good man that way even when pissing you off.
decided since he was off he was going to take the 4 cull cows, and the 2 b$tsh#t crazy steer calves out of the barn to the sale today... he called me a little bit ago... the one calf went over the center bunk and got upside down in the feeder, got out and fell on the concrete floor... went over 2 different gates.. and he finally got it in with the other group and he got them all on the trailer... soooo glad to get them gone... no matter what he brings, it is better than him breaking a leg or breaking his neck... we have never figured out why he is SOOO NUTS.....
Some of those animals are just touched in the head. We got a yearling gelding from the Wild Horse program one year that was so crazy wild we had them come and get him back. He never calmed down and was a danger to himself (and us) in the corral. The other one was fine and doing great. Some of our sheep are crazy from lambs. We wait to see if they settle down. Some do but if not, they are history. No matter how "good" they are we don't want crazy on our place.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, some of them are totally wild... which makes no sense since it is not like they were born out in the back of beyond with no human contact...
They go to town, someone elses' problem.... One good thing about the auctions... it is definitely buyer beware.. We have bought a few nut cases over the years... sometimes they do calm down some... sometimes they don't. But when they are out of your own animals, and they are pretty quiet and easy going, you wonder if they were dropped on their head at birth???? Or ate loco weed or something....:idunno:idunno

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most have lambed. Lost one ewe and lamb due to the prepubic tendon rupture. The big single ewe lamb was dead when did the C-section. probably died a day or so before, maybe even when the rupture happened.

Both DH and I are still sick with cold, major bouts of coughing, and general exhaustion. Can't breathe well and massive humidity last week made breathing harder.

Got to thinking about your comment about "Prime" and decided to amend it to "PM Prime" - Past My Prime, but DH scolded me and said that was the depression and exhaustion from move and illness talking. LOL Love that guy! He will always be Prime!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Came in to eat a little... it is getting cloudy and darker out there... radar showing some dark greens and a few yellow patches, so hopefully there will be rain. I think I am going to run up and do the calves early...
I did get some discount daffodil bulbs planted... since it is "out of season" they were marked down... and they were trying to sprout... so got them in a couple of window box type planters so they will at least grow and the bulbs will get some green leaves to "feed them" and then I can plant elsewhere this fall... also found some gladiolous bulbs that I must've misplaced... stuck them to see if they will even come up... they were pretty dry but if they come up and just make leaves, then they can nourish the bulbs and maybe next year...

Well, I am back... it got pretty dark so I made the bottles and headed up the hill. Most of the calves that come in the creep gate were out in the field, but I put a little grain in the outside feeder for the one that was there, and put the rest in the bunk feeder inside. Fed the bottles and it was sprinkling a little bit. Rode around til I found the fresh cow and her calf, and checked on the other one that is the last one due to calve... Got home it seemed to stop so I decided to maybe get the push mower out and do a little... but then it started to rain more so that was it...

I had used the weed eater earlier also... used up the 3 batteries that were charged up and did all around the house again, the deck, under the lilac bush, all around the rhododendron bush that is flowering behind the house, next to the deck and the propane tank... all around the planters of flowers that are all over the lawn by the front porch... all in front of the carport where there are weeds coming up... so there are 2 on charge now and will switch them tomorrow so all 4 are charged up again.

Hopefully this will last awhile and give us some much needed rain. Looks like we will get some, get a break and then get some more after 8 pm.

Got the bottles ready for testing tomorrow morning.. no set up... so will make sure the alarm is set for 3:30 a.m. to get up and not rush to be there by 4:45...

Took a chicken out of the freezer to thaw, and will put it in to cook tomorrow. It is a soup and gr cheese or something like that kind of evening... Chilly out, only got to 67 but was comfortable out with a long sleeve t-shirt earlier... back down to 56 so getting colder.
Very glad that I got those couple of planters done also...let the rain settle in the dirt around the bulbs. Got the 3 bags of cheap soil out of the car too...
Had a couple iris flower stalks that were laying against some leaves where the wind had bent them over yesterday, kinda kinked the stem, so I cut a yellow and a purple one and put in a vase. They don't last long but are pretty to look at for a day or 2.

So I am done for the night except to lock in the chickens. Just hope this lasts for awhile outside.