Ginger's Lambing Thread :)

AgnesGinger

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This is my first time having lambs. I purchased my girls over a months ago the man I bought them from said they may be pregnant. Since being sheared this is come to be a fact :) at least for 2 of my 3 girls. I have no clue on when though they have signs swollen vulva udder ect. Does anyone think they will deliver soon. They are still eating like pigs, not being solitary they will be first time moms and are not too large in the belly. Any advise would be appreciated.

8704_wp_001898.jpg

8704_sheep.jpg

doxiemoxie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
YES! My dorpers are a couple weeks away and appear slightly less along than yours. although there can be great variety what I see in yours is 1. udder fairly developed; especially since they are first timers . 2. Enlarged vulva; both swollen and the "slit" looking elongated. Watch this area for discharge. Between behavior changes and the discharge those are your earliest signs of labor. BTW some never stop eating.... make sure they are getting lots of hay and keep their grain to a minimum, preferably split between two or more meals.

Without knowing exactly what breed yours are I would suspect babies within about a week. Keep us posted and congrats!

(edited because I am sooo stupid sometimes- you said Tunis in your title! :p)

AgnesGinger

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The twins are Colombian Suffolk cross and the black faced is a Tunis Suffolk cross they are breed to a Suffolk ram. I do not think the other twin is pregnant. Fingers crossed everything goes well. I have bred goats before but never sheep.

doxiemoxie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think my sheep had an easier time lambing than my goats did kidding. The babies came a little quicker, both from first showing to being expelled. The maternal instincts kicked in quickly and they had the babies cleaned, up and feeding in no time. Overall I found it very similar to goats.

Does anyone have ewes that have the large vulva like that but isn't close to lambing?

AgnesGinger

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She has been like this for a week if not a bit more. She is having more discharge today than before who knows :clap so excited for babies!

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
And now some discharge too???? Really does sound close...I'd watch her often...but you never know...some of ours look like this for several weeks in the back end...and others don't look this close and lamb sooner than I'd thought they would. I've found that each ewe is different.

Wishing you beautiful healthy baby/babies soon~~~~ :fl

doxiemoxie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:D My one ewe popped out adorable ewe twins late last night! Her udder "boomed" a couple days ago so I was suspicious and doing frequent barn checks. Keep watching!