HELP! Pics included..

fiset94

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So aprox. 2-3 weeks ago one of my 4 goats started to exhibit signs of lice/mites. ( never had it here on farm before) I treated her as follows:

Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar on her back
Organic Spray- I can't remember what the name was.. It was for horses but the local co-op said that it would work great for her lice

Ivermectin- Paste

CYlence - on her- and the other 3 goats backs

In the meantime... she has become VERY LISTLESS... Won't eat or drink... stands there with her tail tucked. When I put her on the milking stand the backs of her legs are missing so much hair... and her teats are all scaly and the skin is slothing off....

I took her temp and it was 105.4-

Brought her to the vet and they did skin scraping... said NO mites or lice..... Gave her a blood test and said that it looked like she had some sort of infection... gave me pen G to give her

Fast forward to now.... 1 week later.... She is not listless anymore.. is eating fine... BUT

She still has Dandruff all over her... I shaved her ( she is the black and white one) in hopes that the chunks of hair falling off her would be less noticeable

NOW... the other THREE goats have the SAME SKIN ISSUE! one of them... the tri colored one is pregnant with triplets and I am so scared for her to loose them! She is going BALD!

Please look at the pics and give me some advice... I don't know what to do...... The last two pics are of my black and white doe's leg.. she has orangish crusting...

and the last photo is of my brown doe that is not loosing hair yet.. but her skin looks really flaky

IMG_4707.JPG
IMG_4711.JPG
IMG_4712.JPG
IMG_4715.JPG
IMG_4718.JPG
IMG_4717.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4716.JPG
    IMG_4716.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_4717.JPG
    IMG_4717.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 10,731

goat-heaven

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oka here's what I do I don't ever use powders put used motor oil on her it kill mites,lice,ticks in helps with hair growth rite now my doe cookie looks so bad she started losing hair like that I put used motor oil on her her hair is growing back fast I used it on all my goats in horses it works I don't care what no one says it dose work my dad told me about it

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would have sworn it was mites and that one pic looks like lice
But the 105 temp
Would indicate some sort of infection
I have a doe who seems susceptible to mites but she loses hair around her eyes and around her hooves and gets little bumps in her ears nothing like what yours look like
She only responds to ivermectin injections but all my others have no issues and we spray them once per year year with diluted permethrin
We spray down the barn with a stronger mix
If she responded to antibiotics maybe the others have the same infection
I honestly don't know

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oka here's what I do I don't ever use powders put used motor oil on her it kill mites,lice,ticks in helps with hair growth rite now my doe cookie looks so bad she started losing hair like th put used motor oil on her her hair is growing back fast I used it on all my goats in horses it works I don't care what no one says it dose work my dad told me about it

Sorry, I wouldn't put motor oil on a goat...let alone one that is pregnant. They would absorb all that nasty petroleum into their system and we all know that can't be good for them.

The infection could have been totally unrelated and just a fluke. I would go with the injectable ivermectin like OneFineAcre said. Interesting that the vet didn't find anything when looking for lice or mites but I would treat them anyways. Maybe your treatment worked on the first doe and that is why the vet didn't see anything and then she came home and got reinfected. Just a guess.

fiset94

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So at what dose would you suggest I give the injectable invermectin? .. and how often? I want to start this ASAP...

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Be warned...Ivermectin stings like a (fill in the blank). Some goats will literally flip and you will think you killed them. You didn't but be ready.

1 cc /40 lb and don't use the Ivermectin Plus, not sure it is safe for bred does so just use the straight Ivermectin injectable.

fiset94

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you so much!! And I will probably put them on the milk stand and offer them some grain... then quickly surprise them...:confused:

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
My does bald like this and get crusty skin in the winter with mineral deficiency if they run out of or stop using their blocks, but its never usually all over, mostly the face. its a copper problem for us. We have not yet gotten our hands on boluses, seem hard to find and import here.

I would say the orange crust is the skin infection. If the vet did a scraping and isnt finding mites, id take the other does for skin scrapings before treating. Are they on pellets at all? Could be an adverse reaction to an ingredient if you got a bad or old batch?

Retreat your other doe in 7 days for mites to try and kill off a cycle.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I would have suspected mites too but the locations of the missing hair are strange...mite hair loss tends to be ears, face, pits, tail/scrotum/vulva. This seems like it is randomly along her back.

With a fever like that, there is, like the vet said, some infection here. Good that you treated for that but the hair loss, skin flaking is a problem and I don't think it is necessarily related to the other infection.

Do the ivermectin injectable once every 7-9 days for at least four weeks. Clean out bedding! Additionally, get concentrated permethrin, mix it up as a topical application for her and apply it using a sprayer also every 7-9 days--careful not to get in her eyes and mouth. You can also use the same permethrin and mix it as a premise spray, and coat sleeping lounging areas.

I

HATE

MITES!

However...she may also have mineral deficiencies. What is your current regime for mineral intake?