How long is labor? 7 yr old DOE

Bedste

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She has been acting like she is in labor for 24 hours..... have not seen any pushing but her vulva is swollen and she was uncomfortable last night.....

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Goats can have pre-labor behavior which includes contractions. These can be uncomfortable, but are nothing to be concerned about. They prepare the goats body for the real thing.

BUT, if she is pushing THAT is of serious concern.

Other factors to be thinking about are: Is she past her due date? How far, a couple days? no worries, a week, HMMM maybe the vet needs to have a look.

Is her udder swollen?

Has she had goo coming out of her vulva? If so, what color is it? White or off white is normal, red or bright red is something to call the vet about.

Is she lacking energy? That would be a worry.

Is she eating and drinking water? If she is, relax, she should be fine. If she isn't it's a concern.

When in doubt, call the vet.

Post pics of her vulva and udder and maybe we can help.

Bedste

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
udder is full...... She is eating........ drinking. She is resting and peaceful... now .. as if she was not even in labor last night. She is DUE March 18th ... however.. no one saw the actual breeding but the breeder noticed snuggling and we started counting from the day before. She was at the breeder for 6 weeks so it could have happened anytime..... but probably the night of the snuggling. It appeared as if she was leaking water last night while in her "labor". No blood nothing red. She is eating and drinking and acting normal today and wants OUT of her pen. I will post pics in a few minutes. I am going out to take pics of her udder and her vulva now..

fortheloveofgoats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Bedste, I know this might not be the best time, but it's been a very long time since I have talked to you. I think it was last summer. How is Honey? I hope all is well. :hugs

Bedste

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

these pics are from right now real time

Bedste

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
HI fortheloveofGoats!!!

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
That is a BIG udder. I'm guessing if she is eating and resting, she was having Braxton Hicks contractions (pre-labor contractions) and will go anytime now. Tonight? Tomorrow? If she looks miserable, call the vet, if she is pushing longer than 20-30 minutes, help her or call the vet. BUT if she is comfortable, wait. If you are worried, get help.

EggsForIHOP

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I bet she's just waiting until you either fall asleep, or leave the house. Go outside, state VERY loudly you are headed to Walmart, start the car, and park down the road...bet someone calls you in 20 minutes to tell you she is having babies! that's how goats work you know...sneaky devils...they can hold kids in until the moment is least right for you to be present!

Bedste

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
at 3am she was a bit annoyed that I awoke her....... at 6am she was just standing there like nothing ..... still nothing at 6:41 am. I plan on checking her every hour.

Last year she delivered triplets weighing almost 3 pounds each. Pretty sure they were premies because we had just purchased her three weeks earlier and the trip home was a good 3 hours and a week later she ate enough chicken food to give her the scours... I think that both those things caused her to deliver early.....THAT was LAST YEAR.

This year, once we got back from the breeder we have had no road trips and the chicken food has been kept well out of reach. And this year the "snuggling" was noticed so we had a probable date of the consemation.

March 18th is only 9 days away..... so it looks like we are going to have full term kids. I hope so. I have been told that she has twins and triplets everytime. Honey has been my sweet girl for about a year now. I really want her to have a good pregnancy and be healthy and deliver healthy full term kids.