rachels.haven's Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m sorry you are flooding, hope it clears out soon. I don’t know about Tennessee real estate law, but in Texas the seller does not have to say the property floods unless the buyer directly asks if it has ever flooded. That sucks for the buyer. And I bet yall did not ask if the barn ever flooded. No matter, it will be someone else’s problem.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Seems the whole country is getting flooded, don't worry we are still in a drought everyone. Still need to push an agenda and keep those emergency funds flowing.
Last two years WE droughted and caught fire. Hopefully this means there will be more funds for your area as most of the rest of us are in a wet year. Up until this year were were in a cycle with only a few bad storms and the rest dry as a bone with wildfires until winter. I guess we could still drought, but I'm not sure it's going to anymore.
I’m sorry you are flooding, hope it clears out soon. I don’t know about Tennessee real estate law, but in Texas the seller does not have to say the property floods unless the buyer directly asks if it has ever flooded. That sucks for the buyer. And I bet yall did not ask if the barn ever flooded. No matter, it will be someone else’s problem.
Relative to the area our property does not flood. The dirt here does not absorb water quickly so it all runs and we will get 3 or 4 fast hard storms a year. We're on the edge of a hill on the way to a creek so we get the water. The barn gets a little soggy where the manure hasn't built a new floor level. It was intended for beef cattle and the attitude here is that they tend to be able to take a little wet. The far back of the pasture is probably a temporary roaring river (that's why the soil is so poor back there that I can't get much to grow in it as far as forage). The shop's raised garage door is not water tight so when the flowing sheet of water rises the few times a year it does the building catches a little of it. Because of the clay and how our weather works everything that is built must be subject to flowing sheets of water. The people who will really be suffering will be the folks in the "hollars" in the bottoms near the edges of rivers or creeks. Traditionally it's trailer homes or shacks. Lately they've been selling out to dumb rich people and developers who sell to rich people and there are now houses big houses in "disposable" areas, traditionally lived in, but because of it's location beside a flowing water body every knows (except for the dumb people) that occasionally the water will rise and they will be flooded out, destroying their homes again and again. Often these homes couldn't even have septic systems. IDK if that's allowed now. When I was a kid here people really were dirt poor (including us!). Our septic used to work until it didn't.

We're under an order to stay home unless fleeing a flooded area or under and evacuation order. Now I get to watch the county clean up via SmokeyBarn.com's fb page (because they only so-so maintain their website anymore). Lots of water rescues as people tried to leave their homes in the evenings or go home after work. I got to sleep in. I hear something out there yelling, but I think it's probably because they ran out of dry grain. I'll be going out in a few minutes to make sure everyone is fine. I am VERY blessed to be warm and safe in my bedroom. In town in some of the neighboring cities the neighborhoods look BAD.

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Most places will allow septic within 100' of waterways, and for the poor percolating conditions for septic the rich will just put in mound systems. A mound system can go for about $30k versus traditional system is around $5k. This area doesn't get funds, drought or not we get wildfires due to two reasons, lightening or coal seam fires. The ground will literally self combust if the coal seams get dry enough and warm enough.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
The ground will literally self combust if the coal seams get dry enough and warm enough.
That's a little scary. Then you can be like Centralia, PA. Permanently burning.

I don't know how many requirements there were for septic here 25-30 years ago for "backwoods" houses. Our septic didn't work great when everything flooded and was under water (apart from the house itself). I remember getting sick a lot when it was like that, but such was life here. We eventually got moved to follow the work so it wasn't a problem anymore and kid me doesn't remember much more about that.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
6.57" of rain yesterday.
Animals are fine, fences are fine, shop very flooded (cleaned that and milked). Displaced turtles of various species everywhere. Did not check the far side of the fence in case there were more than turtles everywhere in the hip high clover I planted. We're going to be a little soggy for a while.