Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So glad that you made it okay and the sheep got there in good shape too. Except for you both being sick, it sounds like just another day at the @Ridgetop Ranch !!!!!:hide:th:barnie:barnie:gig:gig.

Hope you can both get some rest and then go about doing things in a methodical way and get things arranged as you planned. Then you will change your mind about some things... and redo the plans.. Like @Mini Horses said, it will take a little time and you will get settled in.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Still Monday -
Still sick and both of us still hacking up a lung with each exertion. Truck and trailer not unloaded. Have to do some work on barn pen to keep sheep in. Lambs have discovered ability to get through tiny holes. Then moms scream at them to come back, lambs scream that they can't find way back. Delightful. Thinking we will unload the trailer so moving some of the cabinets out of the office t ake room for my desk. Put one in each end of office closet. It is 10' wide with 5' wide doors! Why do people do that? I put one 24" wide cabinet in each end so we an use the dead ends for storage. The closet is 24"+ wide so it fit perfectly but both of them need a top shelf. DH got a 14" x 48" board at Lowes that I will cut in half and attach to the tops of each one. Just need to unload trailer and remove the clamp on skill saw guides. I also dragged 2 of them on the dolly to the laundry room for storage. Nee DH to help lift up one on top of the other. The bottom one has drawer guides and drawers. I am wondering if I can readjust the guide spacing to pick up an extra shelf space. Not today, loosing ooomph.

Told DH and DS1 on the past few trips that we should put in water lines to barn before bringing out sheep but on each of last few trips they refused to stay and do the work, instead doing turn around trips. Now we had to go to Lowes and buy more hoses. 300' of hose snakes through heavy hip-high grass from house to barn. Faucet at house leaks like a sieve when turned on - needs to be replaced - in the meantime it just spews while watering sheep. DH has dragged over 4 tubs for sheep so they can be watered once a day. Horses are in garden pasture with tub of water, and rams are still in safety gate enclosure. When we need to pull the truck and trailer through, we have to use a stock panel zip tied to the fence, crowd the rams in it, then zip tie it to the corner to allow us to open the gates without the rams escaping. The lambs are continuing to find holes to escape. Ozel has become very good at herding them back into the barn.

DH walked the dogs around the property the first morning. Then Rika spent several hours checking out the fenced 15 acres after posting Ozel at the fence to guard "the dumb humans". By that evening Rik was in pain with her damaged shoulder and neck again. She continued to get worse, we put her back on pain pills and she just lay in field. I made an appointment for the ewe with PPT rupture to get C-section on Tuesday at 2pm. The Dish guy had appointment to come on Tuesday too. Another ewe lambed in the afternoon. Too tired to get on computer.

Tuesday -
Fed bottle lamb. Noticed that PPT rupture ewe was stringing bloody mucous and obviously in labor. Called vet but no chance for one to come out on ranch call since they were shorthanded and lots of clients had shown up. If we brought her in, we could wait in line. DH and i tried to catch her but no go. Dish guy showed up. I got rope (50' of heavy hemp rope) and went to try by myself while DH stayed with Dish guy while he connected system. After dragging 10' metal panel over and attaching it to make a catch pen, I realized that a pile of brush blocked access. More work pulling out branches before i could try to catch her. I almost got a loop over her head but stepped on trailing end of rope and almost fell down as she lumbered away. Several more circles of the pen before she decided to hide in the barn but couldn't jump over the horizontal 2x4 still in place. She stuck her head between to uprights and I was able to get a loop over her head. It was not a slip knot though and was too large so I quickly wrapped her with coils of rope to the horizontal board. Went to get my gloves, towels, and lube in the other corner and by the time I got back she was getting loose. Rewrapped her and found a leg but the lamb was backwards and face down in the giant pit that used to be her body.
PXL_20240506_195000260.MP.jpg Her udder half on that side was dragging on the ground. I tried to lift her belly up but too heavy, got a step under it but didn't help, finally saw Dish guy leaving and had DH bring the truck and trailer through to load her. Got to the vet around 1:00 and was told there would be a 2 hour wait. Checked at desk and they talked to vet about appointment. Dr. Rob arrived at 2 for the appointment and did the C-section. Big, beautiful ewe lamb was dead which I had expected. Had hoped for a live lamb but wasn't really expecting success. Put down the ewe. Back home and collapsed for an hour or so while coughing, then back to barn with bottle for lamb, etc. So muggy couldn't breathe well.

Wednesday -
Stayed inside most of the day doing stuff inside. DH unloaded all the boxes from truck bed he could reach. Too sick to help him. Lowes generator guy came by to give a quote. First said no interest for 18 months but then found out that that promotion had only run for a few days and was over. We could get low interest for 6 months on Lowes card but our cards were expired. Were supposed to get $500 off with Lowes card but if we bought on time couldn't get that promotion either. Getting annoyed but DH said we would reactivate cards (both regular and Professional) and do 7% interest and pay off fast.

Moved rams into holding corner. DH unloaded hay bales - 10 bales, 2 hours. Payton came by and moved round bale of hay into sheep pen. Also used his tractor to move corral sections back that gardener had moved out to access garden area. nice young man - 16 years and sophomore in high school. Said he is considering being a lineman after graduating. Naturally DH (retired high power lineman) was thrilled. After he left, we went out to barn to feed lamb, water sheep, and check on escapees. Sheep were smelling hay bale, and lambs having a great playtime on it. I pouted pellets int one feeder and was immediately trapped in a vise of sheep bodies. Couldn't move an inch. Finally fought my way out of the press of bodies and made a note to change the location of that feeder. Will move it against another fence line to feed from outside.

Located Rika out in field, very worried about her since not moving because in so much pain. Loaded her in trailer and brought her near house where we could take care of her meds. Not eating either. Called vet but no appointment till Monday am.

Went to Lowes that evening after doing sheep chores to renew card but had to apply new and would be 2 weeks before approved. ??? That meant that we not only missed the no interest for 18 months but also the free 7-year warranty offer. DH was mad and said would put it on another card to get 7 year warranty, but I refused since don't want to pay 20-25% interest for it. We can pay cash, but by then too sick to deal with anything. Picked up Popeyes chicken, went home, watched Gutfield, watched lightning from 2 Tornado watches on either side of us - Arbala and Winnsboro. I took shower and collapsed. Went to bed and both coughed for 10 minutes until I brought us both Nyquil tabs.

Thursday -
Still sick with lung rot. Both coughing in uncontrollable spasms. DH did lamb bottle and Rika meds. I stayed inside. Couldn't move, could hardly breathe. DH came in and we took easy day to recoup. Did load of laundry. Unpacked some clothes and put away. :fl Reheated fried chicken for dinner, watched some TV. Bed early. Took Nyquil.

Friday -
Unloaded bed of truck. Found out reason tonneau cover not working is it was locked in partially open position. DH brought key and I unlocked and opened it. Some stuff got wet. :( Most plastic bins so ok. Brought everything inside. DH fed bottle and watered I carried stuff in and put away. Rika still not doing well but eating some. Keep up pain meds is all we can do. Has to see vet before she can get more steroids which might help. Rika is the last one of her litter alive at 11 years old. Hate the thought of losing her but hate even more seeing her unable to move because of excruciating pain from old injuries. May have to take that last step for her sake. Thinking I should have left her home in California to live out her life with less exertion. Hindsight. 😭

Ozel is doing sole duty in field. Lambs keep getting out through holes and Ozel chases them back into pen. Can't unload trailer because Rika is in it so leaving everything until after vet appointment on Monday. Hope stuff doesn't get ruined if more rain. Both still coughing but mugginess lessened by storms so easier to breathe.

Felt more energetic so got 4 pullouts and installed them in kitchen cabinets. Fit perfectly and are heavy duty. Came with installation template - only 4 screws. Hardest part was crawling into cabinets to mark, drill, and screw in runners. Not as expensive as some others either. If we ever get the trailer unloaded I can install the other 2. They have open wire bottoms, so I cut the boxes to line bottoms.
Pulouts 2.jpgWill buy more for other cabinets in house. There is another cabinet to left of these - it is under the peninsula and hard to access. Will order 2 for that cabinet too. I have a blind corner one that I am waiting for DS1 to help me with since it will need the interior shelf removed to install.

DH helped me lift the laundry room cabinet on top of the drawer one. It fits on with pegs and they were hard to line up. Finally, got it on but had to hammer it down from on top to get it snugged on. Then realized that I should have removed the baseboard from the wall to fit it tight. Oops. Not sure if I have my plunge cutter with me or not. :( Oh well, have lots of other stuff to do still. If I have to buy a new plunge cutter, I can. Had to remove the clothes rod in laundry room to install cabinet - I need to cut it down to reinstall. Would like a shelf on top of it, and possibly some boot storage under it too. Plenty of time for that.

Unpacked a couple of boxes and put stuff away. Found the other set of loveseat covers and put them on. Both loveseats are beige now instead of plaid. Look nice. DH said he might not bring his recliner out from CA since the armchair he has been using is more comfortable on his butt. Says the recliner has a hard spot in the seat. Whatever he wants. May bring some furniture pieces or paintings back to CA if they won't fit in the house here. Also, too many clothes! I don't wear my stuff out but when see good sales on Tees, etc. I buy more thinking I will get rid of the old messy ones.
:hide I should have gone through everything before leaving California, now I will have to take a lot of new stuff back and give it to DD1. Also get rid of some old stuff I keep wearing. Wasted effort packing it.

Saturday -
Still dragging but feeling more energetic. Still coughing but improving. Walked out to barn this am and checked on stuff. DH mowed barnyard. Found place where 4' of cow panel has been knocked in on sheep pen. Unable to pull back into place so will have to have DH help me. We can put the 10' panel I have in the sheep pen already (from the PPT rupture capture episode) in that spot.

The weather is pleasant enough to have the windows open and fresh air coming in. DH mentioned that we are not eating much and hopes to lose weight. Eating one meal a day and no snacks. Told him that eating is harder when you can't breathe well. He is hoping to drop a few pounds and says he can already feel it is easier putting on his socks. LOL :hugs

Enough writing for today, tired now. Going to try to put away more stuff.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m sorry about the ewe and her lamb. You had to try, even knowing that the lamb might be dead, you still had to try.

Y’all need to take another day off, please try to rest tomorrow.

You did not make a mistake bringing Rika with you. Yes she is in pain. But she has you and DH, her people. She would be in pain in California, missing you and not understanding. Every day you have her is a gift.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Absolutely do only "needs" for a couple days, feel better....after all, this home now. You're there for years 😁🥰🥳. No rush for this week. You have the next, the next, the next 🤣got it??!! 👍👍😎