160 lbs of fodder per day

bjjohns

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
160 lbs of fodder per day. That is a whole bunch of feed. I posted this in goats, but it goes to goats, horses, rabbits, and even some of it winds up in the chickens. If you decide to go to a fodder system I have a couple of hints:

1) Drip fodder systems (where the trays have holes) are the absolute easiest to build and maintain.
2) If you can use a saw (any saw) and a drill, you can build one yourself. guaranteed.
3) Price shop before you buy your components. Do it online. (Try green house megastore for pvc parts and trays, was the best price when I shopped).
4) Make sure that if you buy a pro system (Like FarmTeks) that you can EASILY clean it (You can't easily clean theirs)
5) Environment temperature has an amazing effect on growth, both too hot and too cold.
6) Light is more your friend than I originally thought.
7) Try different seeds. Wheat works MUCH better than barley for us here in ohio.
8) It does require daily maintenance. Be prepared. At least you are inside and not out in the weather :)

Right half of this pic has been in production most of the winter, left half started 4 days ago:
7104_fodder.jpg

This was the original two systems, it produces about 40lbs a day:
7104_foddersystem.jpg

40lbs of dinner out for delivery:
7104_fodder_2.jpg

sprocket

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Interesting stuff! I've been looking at getting a system going this summer for our goats. Some questions for you:

How're you draining the trays? Do they drain into a trough that carries away the water?

Are the trays just the cheap seedling starter trays or the heavy duty hydroponic ones?

Are you able to get them up to a harvestable size by about 6-7 days? How're you maintaining temperature in your grow room?

It looks like you've built your shelving out of PVC pipe - what diameter did you use, and how much weight to you figure it's able to carry?

Thanks!

bjjohns

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Great questions, so here we go:

sprocket said:
Interesting stuff! I've been looking at getting a system going this summer for our goats. Some questions for you:

How're you draining the trays? Do they drain into a trough that carries away the water?
Yes, we drilled the holes so that all the drain holes were consistent. If you look carefully at the pics, you will see pieces of 3" pvc cut in half working as drain troughs.

sprocket said:
Are the trays just the cheap seedling starter trays or the heavy duty hydroponic ones?
In-between. It's heavier than the super-cheap trays, but no-where near the 1/16" trays that the pro systems use. I'm pretty happy with them.

sprocket said:
Are you able to get them up to a harvestable size by about 6-7 days? How're you maintaining temperature in your grow room?
Spring, Winter, & Fall (Ohio) - 8 shelves = 8 days (the wheat is a tad slower than barley). Over the winter, the furnace maintained the heat, now that I've added a bunch of CFL bulbs (less than 400 watts), I'm guessing the bulbs will be the heat source.

sprocket said:
It looks like you've built your shelving out of PVC pipe - what diameter did you use, and how much weight to you figure it's able to carry?
The second system was 1.5" pvc built straight from plans we bought here :). The first was big lowes shelves with a "gutter" or "eavestrough" system, and was much more expensive. The last one was 1.5" vertical columns of PVC with standard 6'x20" vinyl covered closet shelves. The last one produces 12 trays@ 10 lbs per day consistently and cost less than the rest per lb of fodder

bjjohns

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
alsea1 said:
What does it cost to produce this fodder
Wheat seed is $15 for 50lbs right now for us. We use 25lbs a day, so the seed cost is roughly $7.50. The pump runs 4x a day for 4minutes at a time, and the lights stay on 24 hours a day. Total power consumption is roughly 370 watts/hour with the lights on. I don't know what I am paying for electric right now - no bill handy. Water comes from a well, and is about 30 gallons every 3rd day.

I would say, barring labor, about $10 a day for 160lbs of feed.

sprocket

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What was the difference in growth with the lights on vs lights off? From what I'd read, the seads are just relying on stored nutrients for growth and there was minimal photosynthesis going on, so lights were somewhat optional. (I believe I'd read they'll look greener with lights, but still grow alright without.)

Thanks!

bjjohns

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
sprocket said:
What was the difference in growth with the lights on vs lights off? From what I'd read, the seads are just relying on stored nutrients for growth and there was minimal photosynthesis going on, so lights were somewhat optional. (I believe I'd read they'll look greener with lights, but still grow alright without.)

Thanks!
I've got it in a basement that use to have a garage door. I've removed that door and put in an insulated wall, but the temps still vary quite a bit. What I am trying to say is that I have not yet determined the differences in growing temps vs light availability. The place is a very dark cave when no lights are on.

At any given temp for a week, the lights provide about 20-30% of the growth. The temps seem to provide about 50% of the growth. As I get things more organized (read temp controlled), I'll have a better idea.

The second system had LED light ropes, and that provided no where near the growth of the first system that had one CFL per LARGE tray.

Hope that helps.

sodamancer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This is awesome! I want to produce enough for my backyard goat herd as well as my rabbits and chickens. I am currently only growing enough for my 3 rabbits and ten chickens so 6lbs a day. 1.5lbs for the rabbits (none have kindled yet) and 4lbs for the chickens. I am still supplementing with pellets because we just started the switch 2 weeks ago. So far though the results are looking great. the chickens love it, the rabbits are finally loving it, and i love that i am not feeding pellets.

How much fodder does a milk doe need? I have 3 goats. One full grown nubian/boer cross who is pregnant, 1 nigerian 4wks old, 1 lamancha 5wks old. i would love fodder advice for goats!

here is my set up
945673_10200457639981873_1165938292_n.jpg

9885291.jpg

I keep my fodder rack in the garage, no lights, just two shaded windows. it grows very well without light. it does stay a consistent 67 degrees.
I weigh out 1 pound of barely seed and soak it overnight.
I put it in a 14x11 tray
water 3x a day
8 days later i have 6lbs of fodder

porkchop48

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
COuld I grow fodder in my green house or would it be too warm?

I would love to try this on a small scale for the goats.

bjjohns

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
sodamancer said:
This is awesome! I want to produce enough for my backyard goat herd as well as my rabbits and chickens. I am currently only growing enough for my 3 rabbits and ten chickens so 6lbs a day. 1.5lbs for the rabbits (none have kindled yet) and 4lbs for the chickens. I am still supplementing with pellets because we just started the switch 2 weeks ago. So far though the results are looking great. the chickens love it, the rabbits are finally loving it, and i love that i am not feeding pellets.

How much fodder does a milk doe need? I have 3 goats. One full grown nubian/boer cross who is pregnant, 1 nigerian 4wks old, 1 lamancha 5wks old. i would love fodder advice for goats!

here is my set up
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/945673_10200457639981873_1165938292_n.jpg
http://www.weebly.com/uploads/1/4/3/5/14354454/9885291.jpg?276

I keep my fodder rack in the garage, no lights, just two shaded windows. it grows very well without light. it does stay a consistent 67 degrees.
I weigh out 1 pound of barely seed and soak it overnight.
I put it in a 14x11 tray
water 3x a day
8 days later i have 6lbs of fodder
Sorry I missed this somehow. During milking the ful lsize goats (Saanens, Alpines, and Lamanchas) eat about 4 lbs per milking ( or 8 lbs per day). The dwarf has three babies and has no excess milk yet. Please keep in mind they are ALSO eating the fodder when we do general feeding and we have NO idea how much more they are eating then.

Hope that helps.

Here is a few (grin) "Fodder while milking" pics. I have not yet built a bigger feed tray for the fodder (It's bulkier than the grain we use to use).
LaBamba the Lamancha:
7104_labamba.jpg

Montana:
7104_montana.jpg

Sonny the Saanen:
7104_sonny_1.jpg