2 weeks late! Anyone else have this happen? UPDATE: SHE CALVED! w/pic

zyklonbetty

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a question for everyone: How long have you ever had a heifer go beyond her due date? I bought a bred heifer and was given an "estimated" date of "second week in February," but could not get anything more specific. Planned on doing everything myself (sans vet,) but she has not calved yet. Called the vet today and he said not to worry- they go late (3-4 weeks) all the time. I am no longer worried- just wondering if anyone else has had this same experience.

(...and yes, [to save time of someone asking] I do know she is bred. Her bag dropped about 2 weeks ago, her teats are full, her pin-bone tendons are relaxed and her vulva has been swollen for about a week. No discharge, no pain, no discomfort. No fear of aborted or non-viable fetus either.)

Thanks! Just an anxious mommy waiting for my best fiend to bring me a little gift.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
All the time! I swear the closer tabs you try to keep on them, the more likely they are to manage it when you aren't around!
Best of luck!

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She's most likely a cycle late. It's very rare for a heifer to go 2 weeks beyond her due date. Even cows are usually no more than 10 days late. I breed hundreds/thousands of cows and heifers each year, and am positive of the breeding dates on them (timed AI). Almost every one of them calves on time, and the ones that go more than 10 days late are almost always bred on the next cycle.

zyklonbetty

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well- here she is. New love of my life.
7972_photo2.jpg