20 Items Means 20 Items

simplynewt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
How many times have you went to the store and was in a hurry. When you get to the checkout lane, there are 5 people in front of you have seem to have 40 items in their cart!

Do these people not know how to count?

Are they in as much of a hurry as I am?

Do they passively say to themselves that it will be alright?

Just wondering if anyone has run into this and what do you do, if anything, when confronted with someone who blatently ignores the liuttle sign that says 20 Items OR LESS.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Yes! Pet Peeve of mine.

My fav cashier at my local food lion will say to them "Oh! Goodness! Well, that's ok, I dont mind checking you out, but I'm gonna zip thru these other people who respected the rules first! I'm sure you will understand!"

Man, I love that cashier.

I guess I am sort of a snot. I've been know to ask "excuse me, did you see the sign, the one right there? OH, well I have less than 20, so can I just jump ahead?"

Yup, they get miffed. They get over it too. lol

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
If I'm in a large chain store that has self checkouts I'll zip through those first.

Otherwise I pay no mind to the 20 or less checkout. Here's why...If that line has 5 people in it (following the rules or not) and another line has 2 people with completely full carts, I know that I'll get through the line with 2 full carts first...it's just a law of number when it comes time to ring them up and pay...less people equals less time even when they have more items.

DuckLady

Loving the herd life
Administrator
Reaction score
Yesterday I was shopping and I had about 30 items in my cart. As I passed the express lane, intending to go to a regular line, the cashier invited me in. There was no one in line, no one around. Just as I got done unloading and the cashier started ringing, 3 people showed up.

Sometimes you don't know what happened before you got there. Those 20 items or less signs are not law. They are guidelines.

If someone had been so rude as to chastise me, they would have gotten an earful.

simplynewt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
terrielacy said:
Yesterday I was shopping and I had about 30 items in my cart. As I passed the express lane, intending to go to a regular line, the cashier invited me in. There was no one in line, no one around. Just as I got done unloading and the cashier started ringing, 3 people showed up.

Sometimes you don't know what happened before you got there. Those 20 items or less signs are not law. They are guidelines.

If someone had been so rude as to chastise me, they would have gotten an earful.
That would be a different situation. If there is no one in the store and you are invited with your 30 items into a 20 item lane. I see no problem. But if you are in a crowded store and there are 20 lanes with maybe 3 lanes designated "Express Lanes" and you have someone with a shopping cart full, clearly not 20 items. then I would have a tendecy to get perturbed. I usually would not confront the 20 Items violator because I believe in what comes around goes around and they will wait their time in some fasion somewhere down the road.

But for right now, I am in a hurry. Maybe that is the problem today - everyone is in such a hurry to do everything.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Twenty-FIVE is fine, twenty-Six, get the heck outta line!

I hate it when there are people clogging up the fast lanes...cashiers never care here...ugh.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Honestly, I think that if my biggest problem of the day was worrying about what someone else is doing in the line ahead of me, then I'd thank my lucky stars that I don't have any real problems that day.

Don't sweat the petty stuff, don't pet the sweaty stuff.

simplynewt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I like that. I suppose if you are in a supermarket that has 20 lanes and only 5 of them are open and two of them are express lanes and you have 50 people ready to check out and the mojority has over 20 items, the store needs to open up some more lanes.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Honestly, I think that if my biggest problem of the day was worrying about what someone else is doing in the line ahead of me, then I'd thank my lucky stars that I don't have any real problems that day.

:thumbsup

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I start counting my items as I walk to the check-out. And if I start unloading and found I have mis-counted, I get embarrassed!
I once heard someone say that they should charge extra for every item over the limit.

By the by, do a bunch of bananas count for one item or 5, 6, 7, etc.?

Latest posts