Alfalfa cubes

Hen_House_Rocks!

Just born
Reaction score
I sent my husband to the coop to buy timothy hay and he came home with alfalfa. I know it is too high in calcium to feed my adult rabbits to on a regular basis, but do you all think it would be okay for an occaisional treat? Maybe one cube each week or less?

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
could probably feed one a day, adds fiber and something to do, and chew on. we do. adding once a week can upset the balance of things

Hen_House_Rocks!

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks! I thought it would be okay but just wanted to get some input. I think I'll split the cubes in half and add one of the halves to the does hay portion each day. They are breeding does, so they are either pregnant or nursing most of the time so I didn't think the added calcium would be too awful for them in a modest amount. But I'm definitely a beginner at this and still learning!

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
breeding and lactating does need the calcium!!!and the extra calories to produce enough high quality milk, as with any animal.

kelsystar

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Definitely give the alfalfa to your working does and growing babies. Don't feed it to your bucks, though!

Karma Creek Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
kelsystar said:
Definitely give the alfalfa to your working does and growing babies. Don't feed it to your bucks, though!
I am curious why not to the bucks? Last summer I tried giving all of my rabbits a half cube a day along with their pellets with the plan of bringing them up to one full cube a day. After about 3 days my best buck was dead. I did open him up and his stomach was really full of green frothy muck - I think he bloated?

I stopped feeding the cubes that day and haven't tried again. If I can feed them safely then I sure would like to add them to their diet!

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm confused as to what cubes are?
I know bales & flakes & pellets. But, cubes?

And why not to bucks.