All the BYC people - please help!!!!

chickenprnces

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a 2 month old LF NH red x Australorp with an issue! At the spot that would I guess be her shoulder she has a huge bubble under her skin that is clearly loaded with fluid! What could it be? Should I be trying to drain it??

Lothiriel

Ridin' The Range
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure... It could be an abcess, and if it is, I'd try to drain it. Sorry I'm not much help with this type of stuff. Wishing you good luck! :fl

chickenprnces

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Lothiriel said:
I'm not really sure... It could be an abcess, and if it is, I'd try to drain it. Sorry I'm not much help with this type of stuff. Wishing you good luck! :fl
Thanks for trying!!!!!

kla37

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If it looks like it's right under the skin, I'd try to drain it too. Is there a wound there?

chickenprnces

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
kla37 said:
If it looks like it's right under the skin, I'd try to drain it too. Is there a wound there?
Nope! No cut, no blood - just a big bubble!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
If it looks full of fluid then I would stick a syringe in and draw out the fluid. The color of the fluid can tell you a lot and by pulling it out with a syringe you'll know how much is in there (again something that can be telling).

zzGypsy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
don't know if this happens on chickens, but we've had it happen on sheep - huge bulge on a shoulder, size of a goose egg, slightly squishy, not hard. vet suggested we sterilize a needle and try to draw fluid. got a little blood and some clear liquid, probably serum, no puss. vet said "bruise with swelling". two days later, we had puss leaking from the needle hole. vet said "yeah, that sometimes happens when you lance a bruise - you introduce germs and get an infection". so we created a problem where there wasn't one. once we had puss, we had to open it further, flush it, and give antibiotics.

kla37

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Chickens are pretty darn tough, since they're avian not mammals. Their immune systems are pretty impressive! The problem with a fluid filled cyst on a shoulder is it may inhibit wing motility. If the needle is sterilized first, it should be all right. You can spray a little AluShield on the site afterwards, or some BluKote.

Latest posts