Angus X Holstein

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on an Angus X Holstein. I can get Angus Holstein calves for pretty cheap ($150). Anyone have any thoughts on this? They come from the local dairies. I would plan to raise them and sell them at auction as yearlings.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'd go for it! That is, if I wasn't so afraid of diseases being passed on to our own cows (we have a tested herd). ;)

Reactions: cjc

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@WildRoseBeef I have heard they make great mothers. Any experience with that?

I ended up buying a 4 day old Heifer yesterday, she is getting dropped off today. I will upload a picture of her once I get her. My debate will be to sell her or to breed her. I would breed her to a Short Horn.

After my Orphan calf who is now 6 weeks old I am hooked. These little guys sell for cheap at auction, and for a reason, lots of TLC involved there, but, I am in love with my little guy and I love the time spent to care for them. We will continue to breed 3-4 of our girls every season but I really debate just going all in and getting myself 10 of these calves at a time haha :love:love

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Oh my... the girl has been bitten by the animal collection bug! Watch out! :hide :lol::hugs

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
dolly2.jpg

Here she is!

dolly 1.jpg

dolly on the right.jpg

(Calf on the right)

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She's beautiful! I think you'll have a hard time selling her for sure...;)

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes I sure will! She is just the sweetest. First day I literally had to wrestle her to the ground to get the bottle to her but as soon as she realized I only wanted to grab her to feed her and to love her she came around. She's very affectionate now. Very nice to have another calf to put in with our other bottle baby. A little buddy for him.