Another newbie question

CESpeed

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
From what I understand, rabbit meat is best when slaughtered prior to 6 months old. Obviously, the breeders are going to be much older than this when they are no longer producing. I was thinking at that point they've earned the right to just relax and live out the rest of their lives on the farm. Another thought also hit me that retired bucks and does could take up a lot of space and since they are expected to live another 5 years past their breeding age, if they live out the rest of their lives on the farm, they'll eat up whatever profits they generated during their breeding age.

What are your thoughts? What do you do with "reitred" breeders who are too old to become food?

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Some people put them out for research, pets or reptile food. Snakes need to eat too. So there are many ways to look at it as a breeder. Breeding stock is just that, breeding stock. So you have to make sure you don't overcrowd your barn. So start doing your research on local parties that may be interested in these older bunnies. It's good that you are getting your 'ducks in a row' before starting. It's so much more easier to be prepared. You may be very surprised how many parties want these bunnies.

Good Luck. Hope my input helped.

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
While it's true that the younger the rabbit is eaten, the better (more tender) the meat is. But that does NOT mean that an older rabbit's meat is in any way bad! Just put it in the crock pot, use it in a soup, etc. No reason to waste perfectly good meat just because it's not quite as tender anymore. Plus, by that age there is more meat per rabbit, and the hide is larger, too.

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Pressure cookers are great. :D The best tenderness and texture is actually by 8-10 weeks old. After that the texture starts becoming really different and best suited for stewing, but still delicious. If you don't want to eat an old rabbit yourself, beside being sold to other markets or donated to wildlife centers, the meat can also be stewed and made into homemade dog or cat food, or fed raw for raw feeders. I usually keep a good supply of individually bagged pet meals in the freezer.