Are Old Bucks Still Good Bucks?

Petit Jean Bunnies

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have read some different things concerning the topic, but would like to get opinions from BYH readers/contributors. To preface, I raise exclusivly Holland Lops, so I am talking Holland Lop bucks as a given, but also any breed as well when it comes to this. I have a couple of bucks, one in particular that has an outstanding show record and comes from incredible lines. I purchased him when he was a couple of years old, and of course he isn't getting any younger. My question is does the age of the buck affect his performance - fertilization wise (not nessessarily performace, as in mounting, etc.)? He has always sired wonderful litters, but does the quality of the sperm go down as he ages? Should more peanuts, smaller litters, and lower quality offspring be expected as he ages? Likewise, on the other end of the spectrum, does a buck a year and a half old (Holland usually mature as they age and will become better on the show table) perform better - fertilization wise, than a buck that is just six months? I guess the overall question is does the age and state and health of the buck directly affect his performance - fertilization wise, and his offspring?

Any insight from BYH readers and contributors would be fantastic.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a 4-5 year old buck that still does his job very well, gives me big litters and doesn't have any problem breeding the girls. He is wonderful. :love

therealsilkiechick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
i have never had a prob with bucks being that old performing and always had nice litters. but i have had a holland doe that old as she got older she was harder to get bred and didn't catch as often but the litters were still 7-9 babies, healthy kits, the size of the litters stayed the same. so does i know it affects but with none of my breeds have i noticed a difference with bucks.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Peanuts are caused by a baby inheriting the dwarfing gene from both parents. They happen because both parents have the dwarfing gene; the parents' ages and state of health have nothing to do with their occurrence.

A truly elderly buck (5+) often will have fertility issues, either because he is no longer fertile or because he is no longer capable of "doing the deed."

Winddancer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
When I raised Holland Lops, we had a buck that was 7 and still giving me litters. But it really depends on the individual rabbit. I retired him at 8 when his production went down and he just couldnt get the job done anymore.

ChickenPotPie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Age alone will not affect the quality of his offspring. If he can get his job done then the quality he produces is up to you, really. If you have or can find does that are a good match for him; if your buck and does compliment each other, the chances you will get quality offspring are good.

Latest posts