Backyard Goats-- Fencing?

cozycritters

Just born
Reaction score
We have .2 acres and a backyard, in which we have eight hens, three ducks, a goose, and two miniature goats. We've been seriously considering selling our little goats, as, no matter what my DH builds, they escape any pen.

I've said 'electric' a million times, but he's not interested.

So, tips on being able to keep them in so I don't have to completely give them up? We have access to loads of chicken wire, t-posts, some wood, and chain link fencing. What we don't have is gates :) (I'm sure that's part of the problem)

TIA!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Chain link works IF you have a bottom tube on it. Otherwise they just stick their heads under there and push it up.

We use dog fence (2x4" welded or woven) with good results. They'll find holes, inevitably, and we fill those with rocks.

Chicken wire will not hold a goat.

cozycritters

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks...

Yeah, I've been telling DH that the chicken wire won't work (I know goats, he does't) but he's been doing things his way, which is resulting in him wanting to sell the goats.

Thanks again for the advice!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
ive got a 4ft chainlink fence.an my dang billy jumps it anytime he wants.so weve been raising the fence with welded 2 by 4 welded wire.so we raised the fence up to a tad over 6ft tall.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
my wild billy will jump up an paw me.he will try to hitt me with his horns.he will rubb his horns up an down my legs.so i catch his horns an put him down on the ground.

Rence

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have two fields for my goats.

One field is all electric. The parameter is seven strands of hotwire, the middle (it's partitioned) is five strands. I've had one get out of it twice because I took electric off the bottom strand and she ate herself out of the pen and then found herself panicked because she separated herself from the rest, who wouldn't dare follow her. Reconnecting the bottom strand kept everyone in again.

The other field is enclosed in cattle panel. It worked great to keep them in, but the babies would be able to wander out, so I reinforced it with 2x4 inch welded wire. If I had to do it again, I would have used goat panel to keep the adults heads in, and the baby bodies in. And the dogs heads out, of course :)

But seriously, in both fields, I can count on one hand how many times they've gotten out. I'm very happy with it. They've never ever left the property.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I live in suburbia with 4 goats. We have 4' woven wire horse fence with a strand of electric tape on top. No one gets out. They would shred chicken wire with their little hoofies if you used that. Mine shredded a small section of welded wire that I used to enclose the compost pile, by climbing it to reach overhanging branches.

Gates are easy to build, even a girl can do it ;), I did! And I lined the gate with more horse fence and use chains and snaps to latch all the gates. No escapes. The only time I had goats escape from my fence, and fortunately into my own yard, was when I was sick with the flu and did not latch both latches on the gate after feeding. Cold winter night, and two goatie-girls were peeking in the living room window, saying, "Hey! We want to curl up on the couch in front of the fire and watch some tube with y'all!"

cozycritters

Just born
Reaction score
It's not so much 'girl can't build a gate' but more of 'girl is seven months pregnant and it's 104 degrees out :)' :)

My two girls are miniature-milkers (Nigerian Dwarf/Milker crosses), so fencing that wouldn't keep a kid in, wouldn't work for them. We've had one of them climb the fence and get out. She also appeared on top of a ten foot cinder block wall, which we're still trying to figure out :)

My girls are well-behaved, they just hate being enclosed. :)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Congratuations and at 104 out I won't give you a hard time about not building the gate. I have 2 DD's and know how the heat can zap you!

What if at the top of the fence you add a section laying flat and going inside? Like a partial roof? Make it wide enough to make it difficult for them to get around. We had to do that with a dog that would jump a 6' fence, without a running headstart. :rolleyes: