Best Online Farm Supplier?

rowegirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows of a farm store to order equipment and from that has discount/better pricing than Tractor Supply or places like that? We just bought some farm property and I am wanting to try to be more efficient so we can buy things in bulk, etc.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are smart to want to figure things out ahead of time before bringing in animals. Your most expensive purchase will be fencing. Depending on what type of livestock you are planning on your fence choices will vary. Perimeter fence if you are planning on small stock with livestock guardian dogs is the first priority. If the property is already fenced properly for cattle, and you are not planning on raising or pasturing small stock, you are ahead of the game. A lot of people have posted about fencing.

There are a lot of online suppliers. You will need to check prices between them. Some have certain things cheaper than others - you will have to shop around and compare. Most of them will ship smaller items for free with a purchase of $100 or more. Others often will ship equipment and fencing with larger purchase amounts. (@SageHill just bought a sheep turntable with free shipping from a sheep equipment company - check her post about it.) Sydell will deliver any order to one of the shows they are having a display at if you order.

Where are you located? Some states have special Agriculture programs where you don't pay sales tax on farm items. Check with your state. Most feed stores will have you fill out tax cards if you are buying hay or feed for animals destined for food - you won't pay tax on those items. If the hay is for pets or horses it is taxable.

Look for items on Craigslist or in feed store ads for equipment too. Lots of people sell off good used equipment that way. Sometimes the older stuff is better quality than the new stuff. Also farm sales and auctions are a good place to look for used farm equipment. Priefert Ranch fencing has gates and fence panel seconds at its factory to buy cheap. Be sure you know what you want before buying at auctions since everything is "As Is".

rowegirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You are smart to want to figure things out ahead of time before bringing in animals. Your most expensive purchase will be fencing. Depending on what type of livestock you are planning on your fence choices will vary. Perimeter fence if you are planning on small stock with livestock guardian dogs is the first priority. If the property is already fenced properly for cattle, and you are not planning on raising or pasturing small stock, you are ahead of the game. A lot of people have posted about fencing.

There are a lot of online suppliers. You will need to check prices between them. Some have certain things cheaper than others - you will have to shop around and compare. Most of them will ship smaller items for free with a purchase of $100 or more. Others often will ship equipment and fencing with larger purchase amounts. (@SageHill just bought a sheep turntable with free shipping from a sheep equipment company - check her post about it.) Sydell will deliver any order to one of the shows they are having a display at if you order.

Where are you located? Some states have special Agriculture programs where you don't pay sales tax on farm items. Check with your state. Most feed stores will have you fill out tax cards if you are buying hay or feed for animals destined for food - you won't pay tax on those items. If the hay is for pets or horses it is taxable.

Look for items on Craigslist or in feed store ads for equipment too. Lots of people sell off good used equipment that way. Sometimes the older stuff is better quality than the new stuff. Also farm sales and auctions are a good place to look for used farm equipment. Priefert Ranch fencing has gates and fence panel seconds at its factory to buy cheap. Be sure you know what you want before buying at auctions since everything is "As Is".
Thank you for the advice! I had pigs and chickens before the purchase so they are in makeshift areas for now. I'm wanting to add some goats and a few horses. I raise meat birds twice a year as well. I didn't think about feed store ads or Craigslist. That sounds promising!

rowegirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice! I had pigs and chickens before the purchase so they are in makeshift areas for now. I'm wanting to add some goats and a few horses. I raise meat birds twice a year as well. I didn't think about feed store ads or Craigslist. That sounds promising! I'm in middle Tn.