Boone-My Anatolian Unicorn

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Anatolians would never put up with a snarling or barking dog in their space. They would attack and eliminate the danger. I’ve warned my neighbors with small dogs to NOT let them get near my fence. One portion is field fence with holes big enough to let a small dog through.

They will attack Carson, given the chance. It is not a killing attack, but a dominance attack. Nevertheless it is scary and hard to break it up. They kill everything that is not a sheep, if it gets in their fields.

This said, they are not vicious, they are fierce. I can put a leash on them and go to the vet and they are fine. Take them away from work and they are different dogs. They are not mean, they just have work to do and they do it well.

Boone is exhibiting extremely good behavior. You have socialized him at every opportunity and there’s not a lot of opportunities where you live. You are wise to be aware, but don’t overthink it and transmit your worries to Boone. In these new situations he is at work and it’s all brand new to him. You are his rock, his steady support, his backup. You can be none of those if you are a quivering worried mess. Be the strong, calm, steady rock that Boone needs.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are his herd. His reactive mode seems to me to be one of protection for you. These new sights & sounds took him to a level he still possesses -- and he felt the need to express. Sudden appearance of a threat. He's a bodyguard! 🥰

I'm thrilled you are getting to visit friends & family!! It will lift your spirits, mental & physical health. Boone will tolerate and be fine back home. Although a few zoomies and Fen wrestles would sure be welcome now 🤣, he'll be fine. Good training experience.

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Anatolians would never put up with a snarling or barking dog in their space. They would attack and eliminate the danger. I’ve warned my neighbors with small dogs to NOT let them get near my fence. One portion is field fence with holes big enough to let a small dog through.

They will attack Carson, given the chance. It is not a killing attack, but a dominance attack. Nevertheless it is scary and hard to break it up. They kill everything that is not a sheep, if it gets in their fields.

This said, they are not vicious, they are fierce. I can put a leash on them and go to the vet and they are fine. Take them away from work and they are different dogs. They are not mean, they just have work to do and they do it well.

Boone is exhibiting extremely good behavior. You have socialized him at every opportunity and there’s not a lot of opportunities where you live. You are wise to be aware, but don’t overthink it and transmit your worries to Boone. In these new situations he is at work and it’s all brand new to him. You are his rock, his steady support, his backup. You can be none of those if you are a quivering worried mess. Be the strong, calm, steady rock that Boone needs.
This is exactly what I mean. Having the benefit of your perspective helps immensely and gives me a much higher chance of success with Boone than if I was going it alone. You guys help me collectively see things from a different angle so I can make critical adjustments or at least go forward with greater confidence. It’s what makes this group so invaluable

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Boone was very relaxed yesterday for the first time since we left. Spending lots of time on his back in La Maz pose, and he even opted to stay with the kids while I went to get some stuff from the car. 4 new guys walked in the house, all 6’ and over, and he didn’t bat an eye. He approached them on his own giving his permission to pet him. I honestly was a little surprised at his overt friendliness.

We’ve been working on permission to dremel his nails, and bringing my meds from different spaces and distances. He’s not yet searching in a different room on his own, but he is carrying it across the house to give it to me, which is progress. Interestingly, Heath searched visually while walking all over each room, Fen searches by smell alone and Boone stands in the middle of a room and just stares from that spot until he sights it, then goes directly to it in order to bring it back.

When I took him out back to potty this morning, two dogs on the other side of the fence were barking at us. His only reaction was a little whine and slow tail wag, but no show of aggression at all. My first trip to the ‘burb this morning while the kids were still sleeping, the dog that he was barking back at yesterday was on a leash in front of his house
Boone’s reaction was much milder than yesterday and his posture was more of “I want to meet him” instead of yesterday’s “I’m prepared to kill him”. I’m more inclined to believe it really was just trigger stacking the other night and probably the pitty started it, but will take advantage of using the outside of the dog park to help build or proof his tolerance anyway. Thanks to all of you for the encouragement when I needed it so badly. 🥰

It’s been so great to see the kids. Idk how many times 16 y.o. Ryan has hugged me and said he loves me, even in front of his friends 😍 Damn, it goes a long way towards healing ❤️‍🩹

As he seemed in a pretty good frame of mind, I started some recall training with the e collar. I didn’t want to start unless we were alone and he was in a good frame of mind. I grabbed the check cord about 15 to 20’ and let him explore then called him back to me. I had to use the tone to enforce my request every time, as he never even acknowledged that he heard me, but it did result in him choosing to come back to me each time receiving a cookie, so I am optimistic it’s going to help. He’s show amazing resilience in settling into a totally new routine in a strange environment here. I credit the easy going nature of all the teenagers for that. Where so often the antics of teenage kids especially, trigger an LGD’s defense drive towards any that are not “his”, Boone has accepted them all as friends. After being gone all afternoon, they filed back into the house with Boone channeling a Golden Retriever as he happily wiggled up to each one, lavishing affection, wiggling his ginormous body and pouncing on his front legs. He’s a popular guy
I’ve been physically better to the degree I have been able to do all the dishes, sweep Boone glitter off the floors and empty the trash. Things that are much more painful at home.
My cousin who has had a lot of experience with weird diseases and reactions, believes mold spores in the ranch house could be triggering my autoimmune responses. We discussed it with Randy and he is going to fix an area I have been concerned about for some years. She linked me to a petrie dish test kit on Amazon so we can see what’s going on up there. It would be awesome if we could eliminate whatever is causing all my health issues at home! It would change everything 🙏 Time will tell.
Boone has been super cuddly lately, to the point I have to beat him to the twin bed or I cant budge him enough to get in. I got smart and pulled a blanket off before a midnight trip to the powder room So I didn’t have to pull a muscle trying to wrestle it out from underneath him.
It’s been a great trip so far in spite of some stressful events. We will enjoy my friends (honorary daughter&son) and kids, then head south Thursday to hopefully see my son and biological grands. I don’t have to be home until mid Oct so going to make the best of it ❤️

IMG_0324.jpeg

Looking out the window together. Snooping is a bonding thing donchaknow?

IMG_0328.jpeg

Part of the weekend gang

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The people I got Buford from had 2 daughters. Both were very active in 4-H, then FFA and lots of school activities. There was always a steady stream of kids, growing to teenagers, and parents coming and going. They just couldn’t have aggressive dogs. Both of his parents were chosen for friendly attitudes. Buford is friendly but standoffish and I’m ok with that. Once he gets to know someone, a few minutes, he’s friendly. LOL

Here you have Boone, chosen for his laid back attitude, leaping mountains in a single bound. He has learned so much just in your town. It has become familiar to him. What he-and YOU-are doing now is extraordinary. Keep being his steady rock and calm backup, in a brand new world. Together, y’all got this.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am really glad for you and this trip. I think it has been more than needed for some time. I am also encouraged that someone is getting through to Randy that there are some things that should have been done already... and now might actually get done, that might make your life better. Sad that it takes an "outsider" to make enough of an impression on a man to do something that the person closer to him has been asking for/ pleading/ trying to talk to them about. I get it too well, with things with my son and the "neglect" of my requests for a few things that would have made me happier and easier to get along with... especially when he would make time to bend over backwards for the ex but I can't get some things done that I have asked for, for a couple of years... that would only have taken a couple of hours to do for me.....

I am encouraged about the possibility of testing for some problems that mold and "old buildings" could be causing for you. This may be a lot more of a major trigger than even you have realized...

The improved reactions of Boone is probably mostly because you are not so tense and "worried" about his failing you... He picks up on the feelings you have, and is very intuitive to your actions and reactions. If you don't go out there all tensed up that something terrible is going to happen, he says, "okay, mom's not so worried about these noisy dogs so I can just look down at them and say phew... no big deal". A couple of my german shepherds were like that... if I was tense, they were in overprotective mode.... if I was cautious they were a little protective... if I was good or friendly, they were hey, this is another "best friend"....

Your trip has also got me thinking that I need to do a "getaway" once in awhile... so I am thinking about things I want to do and things I want to see...
Sure, a jaunt twice a year to the poultry swap isn't "that big a deal"... but it is to me as it has gotten me and @Mini Horses together when we might never had in the past... we can talk about things and just have a sounding board... @canesisters has added to our little "get together" group... especially nice to have with people that have many similar likes with the animals, and such....
Planning to go to the BIG poultry show next year is now something I am definitely putting on my calendar... I try to go to our Va poultry breeders show in Richmond every Nov now... I miss my chickens.. some things I compromised due to money, and then time constraints and always feeling like I needed to be available here on the farm...
Going to TN to meet @Baymule in person when she made the trip from TX... and meeting @Mike CHS and his wonderful wife Teresa, and their generosity of taking in a "stranger" to stay at their house....
Life is too short and we always think that we'll do it "later", next year...

You are doing just what you need to do for yourself... sometimes being selfish is actually being generous to yourself....

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bless all of you
This morning we walked around the corner to see the guys boxing in the garage. Boone’s entire head was one big, concerned wrinkle, but he did take me at my word when I continued past them to go out back. He’s pretty sure teenagers are all nuts.
Noisy, unpredictable pups prone to varying degrees of violence.
He also thinks they are either devious or stupid, thinking they can pick up and make one of his new girlfriends squeal then walk up and try to pet him like nothing happened.
“Uh-uh buddy, you reach out, Ah’m steppin’ back whar I ken keep an eye on u”

“Why is he backing away from me?”
“Uh…gee, I dunno” 🤷 😂