Brown Swiss

Kindred farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My friend leases out a pasture to a guy that puts a cow or two out there. Recently he brought in an 8 months old female brown swiss. She is a doll, leads around like a horse and is just plain old sweet. I dont see much info on this site regarding this breed (did a search) is there a reason why more people dont raise them? He wants to breed her, then move her over to my place, because I will milk her, whereas my friend said," NO WAY" to the whole milking thing. So I would like some more info on her, it would be a while before she'd move over here, but really want to be prepared before I say yes to him. Any tips/suggestions/advise??

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
On the breed page there is a couple links to sites with more info on each breed--click the Index link in my sig to easily find it. WRB has also put together some info and that link is in the Index too.

Kindred farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Okay, I saw the breed info before my post, but that didn't give me practical answers to why more people do not raise them. However, the information from WRB was more useful. Thanks, I wouldn't have looked there w/o you showing it to me.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The breed info page just has pics of each breed but, at the bottom are links to other sites with info on each individual breed too. If you only have time to visit just one of them do the first in the list. WRB's "My Page" is second on the list so, you've covered that one already. :)

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
the reason that you dont see meny people raising them is because holstein is the #1 dairy breed.they are good milk cows.an they give rich creamy milk.fed right you can get 6 to 8 gals a day.she can be bred at 14 to 16 months old.an she needs to weigh 650 to 700lbs at breeding.

Kindred farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks! That is what I was looking for. Though I am glad I had the chart from WRBs, apparently they (swiss) aren't real easy to breed and have slightly more difficut births too. Though she wouldn't be mine per say, she'd be at my house and I'm not sure I want the possibility of a difficult birth for my first cow experience. Thanks for the info!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
well you could breed her to a jersey.jerseys are calving ease bulls.then youd a jersey X swiss calf.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Swiss are a more * natural* breed in that they haven't been bred out of their minds by AI.
From what we know, they are incredibly stubborn about taking a bottle. They want mom. In general, they are more stubborn. What is stubborn to you and me might be understandable to someone else.
Each Dairy breed is different in temperament and idiosyncracies. The people I know who have swiss love them , but they take some getting used to!
IMHO: Holsteins are bred to be mindless.
Jerseys have attitudes, some wonderful, some... ?
Ayrshires are cows, like being cows, please let them alone, or hold them in your lap- nothing inbetween.
The Swiss I have known are *distant* but then I haven't known any intimately.

FOr a firsttimer, I'd recommend a Jersey and hope you get an easy keeper. Some are, some aren't. Not sure you can tell which you have until she is grown and it's too late!

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I had a swiss cross, OMG he was such a pain. Never again. I have a huge heart with alot of patience with calves, but swiss are exceptionally stubborn. Yes they can be super sweet and cute with their big ears and lazy eyes, but beware :)