Calf nearly dead! Help!!!!

blbreeza2910

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I found this Angus calf that is 2 weeks old and was left from his mum for 3 days. He was fine and suckling well until today. He was laying down the whole day and when I feed him he just coughs it back up. I do not want to tube feed him and I am feeding him little bits of electrolytes because he just spits it out. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the vet out ASAP and get an IV tube into him, because that's the only way you're going to try to get some fluids into his system. What other signs and symptoms is he showing? Is he acting constipated or is scouring? I definitely suggest have the vet out as soon as possible or even take him to the vet, because his condition could be anything from severe pneumonia to a blockage in the gut.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I found this Angus calf that is 2 weeks old and was left from his mum for 3 days. He was fine and suckling well until today. He was laying down the whole day and when I feed him he just coughs it back up. I do not want to tube feed him.
If it can't suck anything down, you better get the vet out quick or tube it--or both.

Is this calf suckling it's mother or from a bottle?
If bottle fed, is it milk you milked from the momma's teats or milk replacer?
If milk replacer, some calves can't handle the soy that is in some cheaper replacer.

blbreeza2910

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
He did have pneumonia. The problem was that he wasn't on the antibiotics for long enough so he got it back again. It is better now. He drinks from the milk bottle and he is doing fine. We will have to keep him on antibiotics for 6 days. Thanks.

Get the vet out ASAP and get an IV tube into him, because that's the only way you're going to try to get some fluids into his system. What other signs and symptoms is he showing? Is he acting constipated or is scouring? I definitely suggest have the vet out as soon as possible or even take him to the vet, because his condition could be anything from severe pneumonia to a blockage in the gut.

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
yeah but he's drinking and eating which usually means they will pull through and if the calf dies
you have the piece of mind knowing what killed it and not to sound harsh about the calf dying part but when my livestock die it always makes me feel a little better knowing what went wrong and what I can do next time it happens

blbreeza2910

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes, you learn from your mistakes. It happens to me plenty of times! Thanks for all your help. I know who to ask now
yeah but he's drinking and eating which usually means they will pull through and if the calf dies
you have the piece of mind knowing what killed it and not to sound harsh about the calf dying part but when my livestock die it always makes me feel a little better knowing what went wrong and what I can do next time it happens