Can you feed a goat out of a net hay bag?

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We are getting goats this weekend :celebrate

We have wood to make a keyhole style manger, but I saw a hanging net bag for hay at Southern States. Since I have read that goats like to reach up to eat, I was wondering if it would be workable to use one of these net bags for feeding hay to the goats.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When i used to show I used a mesh bag and it worked great. I only used it at shows and only for a few days at a time. I did not notice any dangers from the one I had as long as it was tied up properly. Maybe some others on here have other experiences with a mesh hay feeder.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I used one a few years ago with my goats, then came in one morning to find the biggest doe with her leg in it, and it all wound around her leg tightly. I had it tied up high enough...she must've gotten caught up in it while on her hind legs and then pulled it down in her struggles. Poor thing. She was fine, but her leg was swollen and sore for a bit.

This same doe came to me with a bell on her collar. One day she didn't come in for supper with the rest, and I went looking for her and she'd gotten her bell caught on the fence somehow and was stuck there for a while. She could've pulled free but seems like she never questioned "being tied." Goofy girl. So maybe the haynet thing was just a fluke.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use one and it works well, but make sure you hang it nice and high so they have to reach for it... We hung ours low for a while and Cissy got her head stuck. My mum was wondering why the hay was flailing about, it was just Cissy trying to shake her head out of it.

Now it's hung up high and they have to work for the hay.

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yep, hay nets are not good for goats.
You can find a hay bag or hay rack.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If... You can find a hay bag, I can't use a rack right now but I intend on building one into my goat house once it is finished (floor joists in, starting the framing this weekend!!) so I'm stuck using the hay net for now. I can't find a hay bag like anywhere -_-

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Lol, Ebay only works if you have a credit card / paypal, neither of which I have or intend to have.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
LOL I don't have a chequing account hahahaha...

Oh man, no I'm going to stick with my stupid hay net until the goat house is done. As long as they can't stick their heads right in it, they are fine. The net was too low and Cissy was shoving her head deep in it to get the nice tastey bits (which, LOL, was making her sneeze cause she kept inhaling little bits of hay), but once I moved it up, I didn't have another problem.

I like hay bags, but they also don't hold a lot of hay either and the goats need to have enough hay for at least the day as we're not always home to refill.

I saw ones at a co-op near my old town that were kind of like webbed at the front, I might pick one of those up next time I'm in the area.