Carnivorous wasp?

SteepedInSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My cow has had a patch of skin near her udder that has been open and weepy for a while. I don't even know how long. I thought initially she injured herself on something and perhaps the constant flies haven't allowed it to fully heal?
Usually my partner does the milking but his schedule has changed up recently so I've been milking in the evenings. I saw a black and white wasp like insect land on that little bare patch, cut away some of her tissue, and fly away with it! I felt so bad for our poor cow. No wonder that patch isn't going away.
Anyone know what insect that would be and what I can do? Regular old fly spray, maybe?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't know about the "wasp like " insect... but spray with something like "blue kote" wound spray or use a "scarlett oil" type wound spray... usually can find either at most farm stores... Sometimes might have to look in the horse/equine sections.
Where on the udder is the open sore? Many get a spot like that inbetween the teats in the front of the udder...or between the udder and the back leg... get pretty raw and will smell due to staying "wet" all the time. Mostly happens with cows making alot of milk and the udder and leg rubbing against each other when fresh.
Also some sulphur powder would help to treat any bacteria and help it to dry up.

SteepedInSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'll see if i can manage to get a photo tonight if it comes back. I can at least take a photo of the open skin. It seems like a strange location to me because it's not a rub spot, as far as I can tell.
Idk what he read but my partner is reluctant to use blue kote on it so I'll try your other suggestion. Thanks!

SteepedInSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I was looking at some photos of wasps to try to figure out what kind it was and it most closely resembles a bald faced hornet

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Try this

IMG_7019.png

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never known the bald faced hornet to be aggressive unless you get too close to their nest... They make those big hanging grey paper mache' looking nests that hang in trees or shrubs or in the corner of a porch or barn. I have walked by them within 10 feet and never known they were there in the past. We have occasionally run over shrubs when bush hogging where they are hanging and they will naturally go after you but you can get away from them fast and they don't follow far. Not like yellow jackets when they nest in the ground and you run over their nest/hole and I have had them chase a tractor for hundreds of feet... and gotten stung many times.
I have no experience with them bothering cattle or slicing off a piece of infected type flesh.

The aluminum spray will also work.... it will coat it and helps to provide a barrier but will not do anything to heal it.

Scarlett oil is used on horses that have "proud flesh" also....

Where is the spot that is raw located?

Last edited:

SteepedInSheep

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Mystery is solved! I was milking tonight and saw the wasp come back and what it actually did was grab a fly feeding on the raw spot! I had seen it fly away with a chunk of something the other day and assumed it was from the cow but it must have been a fly. Smart wasp, lol