castrating a calf

JoePa

Just born
Reaction score
Where can I buy some anaethesia that I can use to apply around a calf's nuts when I go to band them - is there some kind of cream that is applied or some that is injected to that area - I'm assuming that using an anaethesia would lessen the pain somewhat - thanks for your reply - I'm just learning this cattle business - have a long way to go -

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you castrating the calf with? A knife or an elastrator? And how old is this calf?

JoePa

Just born
Reaction score
I'm not going to do it myself - a farmer friend is doing it - he is going to put a band around them - the calf is around 3 to 4 weeks old - I read where the animal will experience some pain - thought maybe giving it a shot would help lessen the pain - thanks

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My vet doesn't use anesthetic for surgical castration--it's such a fast process that he said you would cause more pain poking around with a needle than they feel from the castration. I would think banding would be the same idea? Esp. at that young of an age.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
JoePa said:
I'm not going to do it myself - a farmer friend is doing it - he is going to put a band around them - the calf is around 3 to 4 weeks old - I read where the animal will experience some pain - thought maybe giving it a shot would help lessen the pain - thanks
It's not necessary. Especially with banding, the little pain that that calf will feel when the band is put on is short because quickly the nerve and blood supply is shut off by the rubber placed at the neck of the scrotum. One shot is going to hurt more than the actual process itself. You're better off to be giving the calf its vaccinations the same time you castrate rather than goofing around with that.

With dehorning I can see anaesthesia being necessary, but castrating, especially young calves? Not so much. It may be necessary if you're cutting the nuts off a yearling or 2-year-old bull, but not a young calf.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know this is not necessary, but makes me feel better and hope it makes our little ram lambs feel less pain...I use the children's liquid ibuprofen...double the amount for weight that it says for a child, and I add some probiotics and warm water and molasses...hoping to sweeten the whole ordeal...I drench them with that half hour before we band him. Read this on a website years ago that it was safe for ram lambs...but it didn't mention calves...so I'd google it before giving it.

My Dad had a large cattle herd, and he gave them nothing before banding them and they were fine.

JoePa

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts guys - makes me feel better to know what is going on - thanks -

hyder777

Just born
Reaction score
hello to all .im new in the farming life style ,I do love it .however i have alot to learn.my husband just banded our calf he is 5 months old.we did this 6/22/2013.i need to know how long for they fall off?last year we banded another one of my cows,and my husband didnt do it correct and we almost lost him .also i have a heifer and i think she got pregnant in janurary ,but not sure?how can i find out how far along she is and when do i stop milking?