Cattle panels & hardware cloth

Jill Anway

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My husband is wondering, do we need to bury hardware cloth like we did for our chicken run? We will be putting up fence soon.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cow panels have 6"x6" holes in them. Kids can walk right through them. You might want to consider some other type of fencing. And some dogs can crawl through the holes.

Jill Anway

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok. So whatever fencing I use, do I need to bury hardware cloth like I did on my chicken run. See picture.

Attachments

• 0418151446a.jpg
    0418151446a.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 179

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, a fox can go thru cattle panels. So, depends on predators in your area. You may want to consider hot wire as an additional control added to the panels. Plus, are the animals contained in a "safe lot" at night? (when most predators are out).

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
To answer your question, NO, typically you do NOT have to apron out anything on a livestock fence. You do it on a chicken enclosure to keep predators from digging in/under (weasles/mink/coons/possum/fox/coyotes/dogs/cats/etc.) for a chicken dinner. That's not normally going to be an issue with goats/sheep/cattle/etc. Some folks will apron on the inside of a pig enclosure to keep them from digging out, but it's typically with welded wire fencing (2"x4") or even hog panels...

Some goats can jump over a 4' fence, and a decent sized coyote can jump 4' straight up from a stand still. Stray dogs typically will not jump over the fencing but will try to go through it or under it. For the above reasons as well as others, many folks like to put a hot wire at the top of their fencing to keep things from trying to go over, another hot wire outside down low to keep things from trying to go under, and one about goat knee height inside to keep the goats from rubbing against the fence thereby stretching it and eventually damaging it.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One of my heighbors has Barbados sheep. His fence is a 5' "V" wire mesh with 2 strands of barb wire on top to bring this fence to 6 feet. Coyotes jump over this fence and have killed some lambs. He also had 2 Barbados rams and one of them has jumped over it. :idunno