Cjhubbs (1st) Pre-Kidding and Kidding Thread

cjhubbs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I figured I would create this kidding thread because well what have I got to lose:D! I am so excited because I am finally going to have my first goat babies around the place, come May! Last fall we bred our Saanen Doe, named Jasmine, to a nearby Saanen buck, first in November and then on December 3rd because she went back into heat. It appears that she settled because she has not gone back into heat since, which she did until around March of last year, which means that she is due around the 2nd of May :D. I have been feeding her on a strict hay, minerals and forage only diet as I have read you should do for around first 3 months . I was wondering if I should be feeding her anything else and when exactly I should re-introduce the grain back into her diet? So far everything has been going smoothly, albeit her hate for getting her hoofs trimmed last Saturday and the days feeling like they are dragging by at snails pace by lol. I also was wondering when I should give her her CDT shot and BoSe, as well as where I can get BoSe and if I should do the shot or the gel? Thanks so much for the help! Here are some pictures I took of Jasmine today, which is day 64. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me :rolleyes: it already looks like she has gotten a bit bigger...
Jasmine2_zps9e55d0ae.jpg

Jasmine3_zps991c9fcf.jpg

Jasmine1_zps93e75d57.jpg

I'm crossing my fingers for twin does but I guess I will have to wait and see :D.

cjhubbs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She is four years old and this will be her second freshening. She was bred while a yearling with her previous owner and we bought her as a first freshener. We didn't breed her until now because we didn't have the facilities. We built an addition to the goat barn this past fall, so we had the space for babies and because we did I am happy to say the goat stork cometh. :)

cjhubbs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Everything is going along great so far :). At this point Jasmine is either 75 or 96 days along. She is starting to look gigantic and uncomfortable. I am trying to get a kidding kit ready now, just in case she took at the first breeding. I looked on Hoegger supply and found this http://hoeggerfarmyard.com/xcart/Birthing-Kit.html but it seems like it doesn't have much included for the price. I am probably going to have to get all of the supplies seperatley rather then a premade kit. I was wondering if I was missing anything on this list of kidding supplies?
Iodine and dipper
Clean towels
Small clean water pail
Feeding tube and syringe
Nipples and bottles
Arm Length disposable gloves
dental floss
colostrum: frozen or powdered
BoSe
and of course have the vets number at hand, if needed.

cjhubbs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Okay lets fast forward about a month and a half. I went out to feed Jasmine today and noticed a little smidge of clearish goo on her girly parts. Her due date is next friday and if I am feeling her ligaments properly they are still there but could the goo mean that she s going into labor or is it just a warning that kids are in the *near future*? Also, her udder has been getting larger for the past few weeks but I haven't seen that "boom" everyone mentions. Although my parents are freaking out that our goat may kid today, I am not so sure although I am prepared as if she will.