Composting

The Dairy Ferry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
On the back of our property there are two piles approx 15'x6'x 4' of pine chips that has been sitting back there for about 10 years. I'm guessing it will be good for the fields and gardens. Just asking before I spread it everywhere. What do you think?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is no reason to worry about anything that could be a problem with piles that have been sitting for that amount of time. Even wood chips from walnut have lost a good bit of the toxins from the tannin in the wood.
Being pine, there is nothing to have to worry about other than it might make the ground a little bit more acidic...
Why not use it as mulch on everything first? Even in the garden, lay it down as mulch in the walkways and around every tree/plant/bush you have to make mowing easier by not having to get up near tree trunks as close?
In 10 years time, there may be chips on the top, but it should be mostly decomposed underneath anyway so would be like spreading more chunky soil than actual chips. It they haven't broken down much it is because there are not enough worms and microbes in the soil so that might be a bigger concern. Or, there is a reason it is toxic to the worms and microbes trying to break it down.
Normally, Adding any type of organic matter to be broken down for the benefit of the soil is good.

The Dairy Ferry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
There is no reason to worry about anything that could be a problem with piles that have been sitting for that amount of time. Even wood chips from walnut have lost a good bit of the toxins from the tannin in the wood.
Being pine, there is nothing to have to worry about other than it might make the ground a little bit more acidic...
Why not use it as mulch on everything first? Even in the garden, lay it down as mulch in the walkways and around every tree/plant/bush you have to make mowing easier by not having to get up near tree trunks as close?
In 10 years time, there may be chips on the top, but it should be mostly decomposed underneath anyway so would be like spreading more chunky soil than actual chips. It they haven't broken down much it is because there are not enough worms and microbes in the soil so that might be a bigger concern. Or, there is a reason it is toxic to the worms and microbes trying to break it down.
Normally, Adding any type of organic matter to be broken down for the benefit of the soil is good.
Thanks 👍 it's been partially buried in the treeline and came from trees that fell naturally or during storms I'm guessing. So all the insects and other organisms from the wooded area probably did a number on it. I'm digging into it tomorrow and see what treasures I find 😂

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Any updates on what you found? Since I am a BIG promoter of mulch, I like to hear, see what other people have/use/like/dislike....

Curious about your "name".... @The Dairy Ferry .... mostly because I work with dairy farmers in Va as well as have milked cows for years and years... so when I see dairy it catches my eye...