Conformation

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Anyone else prefer the way the English are keeping their Herefords and other breeds better than the U.S streamlined approach.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Can't wait for some replies to this 77 - but can you elaborate. Not sure I know where your going with this ????

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Well I've noticed over the years that many breeds old and new look very similar to the Modern Angus cattle. I just appreciate the differences in the breeds and don't see much of that anymore in the U.S than in other countries were that breed may of originated.
Such as the Hereford's in Britain have a more muscular build and larger hump for the bull. They aren't as tall as the huge U.S version of the Herefords.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Name the animal and you can note europe in general has kept to a more original standard for most breeds. Where here in North America we tend to "improve" the breed for characteristics.

Jerseys up here in Canada more closely resemble their ancestors than those I see in the U.S. Only thing is with A.I. and sperm banks we are seeing more U.S. influence in some of the lines.

I often wonder if they aren't smarter in maintaining a more diverse pool than we do. A.I. may have made life easier in many ways, but so many cows bred to so few bulls really has the potential for problems in the long term.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
No offense to anyone on here, but it seems to me that most of the breeds in the U.S are designed for consuming grain, not grass, hence the stream-lined appearance.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
WildRoseBeef said:
No offense to anyone on here, but it seems to me that most of the breeds in the U.S are designed for consuming grain, not grass, hence the stream-lined appearance.
Funny you should say that but Cattle aren't built to be able to process grain well. Thats why they only feed them heavy on grains the last few months of their lives as it causes digestive issues. By the end most feeder cattle are consuming loads of tums with their feed,lol.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
77Herford said:
WildRoseBeef said:
Funny you should say that but Cattle aren't built to be able to process grain well. Thats why they only feed them heavy on grains the last few months of their lives as it causes digestive issues. By the end most feeder cattle are consuming loads of tums with their feed,lol.
I know that, but that doesn't say anything about why those type of cattle seem to not be the best on grass alone. If cattle are going to be raised on grass, they better have a nice gut on them, not look like gut-less wonders.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Anyways back on subject. I think many of the North American beef cows have become rectangles.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
In England on my fathers farm we had an Aberdeen Angus for serving the dairy heifers and a Hereford bull (very dark red dehorned as a calf - not polled) for serving the Friesian (not holstein) milking herd. Used AI for the best cows.
They were nice sized bulls, stocky and solid with good attitude especially the Hereford who was easy to work with. Move on 40 years and yes things have changed in most breeds and as much as I dislike a huge angus (not Aberdeen) I'm really not keen on the mini cow fad which include Mini Galloways - to me working and breeding good healthy animals to improve the breed makes sense but cant get my head around the mini craze paying double money for half a cow.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Mini cows, just like any other animal fad: People buy into the hype and marketing ploys then discover the truth the hard way. Love how some of these guys twist the feed efficiency figures and other details.