Depressed doe?

cstafford93514@yahoo.com

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Here is my situation.
2yr old never freshenedwho was put in and left in with buck from 12/10/10 until about a week ago when she was transferred back into doe pen. Temp 103.0 this pm. Will nibble feed on stand but doesn't go out to pasture or to feed area with herd. Lays around next to the buck pen all day. Quickly losing condition. If I take her to the feed area she will take a bite of two but then leaves. Her eyelids are a nice dark red. She does have an infected ear (LaMancha) so I gave her a shot of LA200. What else would you do? Should I put her back with the buck?
TIA
Carol Stafford

Electric

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You could try, and if she brightens up, think about getting a buck that is castrated (if you don't want kids) to put in with her, or if she doesn't, I would call the vet to see if anything is wrong

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is she being kept alone? They can be depressed if they are alone, since they are social animals. Is she feeling off because of her ear infection, maybe? Or tired from her "date"?

I'd check her temperature, a high or low temperature could indicate she is sick with something. Also listen to her rumen to make sure it's moving properly--use a stethoscope if you've got one, but you can usually hear ok just putting your ear against her left flank. You should hear a gurgling sound at least once a minute, if not, she could have a problem there, which would put her off her feed.