deworming question

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
i have a 3 month old jersey calf we are raising for meat. he is eating hay and southern states jump start pellet. pasture is not available right now. he is in with an angus calf, so I do not know whos stool is whos, but one is somewhat softer than the others and I assume it is his. he has quite the pot belly look to him, and even a friend of mine agreed. im not used to a jerseys build, though I do know they will be more boney in their hips and top line than an angus calf. its his belly that has me wondering if he is wormy. I have cydectin pour on for cattle on hand. what types of worms are usually suspected for calves/cows? with my angus I have never dewormed and they are so hardy, so I am not really educated on what kind of worms I would be dealing with. the stools in the pen are formed but just softer, not puddles or anything. his appetite is good. I know the best thing to do would be have a stool sample run, but that's not an option for me. I am in debt to my vet and currently trying to pay it off and cannot tack anything more on my bill. its just not an option, so what could I assume I am dealing with and would cydectin be the best wormer for him?

Andrei

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Garlic.
Straight or juiced.

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
how much? will that really cover all worms I may be dealing with?

Andrei

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have used is whole and next day seen the worms.
Then I crushed it and add water and give it individually with a syringe on empty stomach and in one hour a lot of worms came out.
It is good for intestinal worms but not others.
And it is natural.

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've used the Safe Guard pelleted, it will cover the major worms and is very safe for calves.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree with Southern....we use the garlic barrier and ACV drench monthly as a preventative...first time this year after such a rainy winter and spring...that wasn't cutting it and also had one with lung worm...so pulled out the big guns...chemical wormer and it worked. I prefer to go organic and natural when possible, but am not going to risk the health of the sheep. When they need a chemical wormer, they will get it!!!

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
well I decided to go with a chemical wormer just to be on the safe side and to be surely effective. his belly just looked so big tonight and I was worried so I used the cydectin cattle pour on. I went by the dosage on the box for 110lb. I used a syringe and dropped it down his back from withers to tail. I tried my best to get it right down on skin and not on hair. is this the correct way to apply?

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
poo.jpg

this is what he is passing today. small white worms or pieces of worms. they are not moving. my first guess is tapes?