Dexter vs Lowline

Kotori

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have been looking at mini cows for beef, and decided on Lowline because of high dress rate, and marble on pasture. However, looking at Dexter, it seems to me they have a lot of the same benefits. Dexter can also milk, but that isn't what I'm looking for. I want to run them in electric fence with multi-species grazing if that changes anything.

So on the pure meat front, how do they compare? I'm looking for facts, opinions and experiences.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact whether you're running them in temporary electric with multi-species doesn't change anything, actually. What does change it is whether you're wanting to grass-finish the animal or grain-finish it. Also, whether you have access to local Dexter or low-line herds to buy a couple steers to raise for beef from will also determine what your choice will ultimately be, regardless of the kind of facts, opinions and experiences others have on these breeds. Price for purchasing them also influences your choice: miniature cattle are pretty expensive, likely a bit more than Dexters would go for in a private-treaty price agreement. Are you going cow-calf or are you just wanting to buy a steer or two to fatten up for the freezer?

Kotori

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I want to do cow/calf. I want to do pure pasture with hay in the winter. If one breed is better than the other, I might find it worth the extra money.

Latest posts