doeling runt not doing so well....

GladeCreek

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I bought a LaMancha Momma with 3 doelings. The Momma is supposed to be 2 years old and the doelings were supposed to be 1.5 months old. They were all kinda skinny when I got them home so I wormed everyone with Ivermec. Momma and 2 of her doelings are doing well and putting on weight, but I noticed that the smaller, runty one was still pretty skinny so seeing how she has been unable to nurse from Mom, I seperated her and I have been feeding her by hand.

A few days after seperation she got loose stool so being the weekend and the vets are closed I went ahead and started treatment for Cocci with Albon and i am also treating for tape worms (just in case) with SafeGuard. She has been on both for 2 days now. She is still eating and drinking fine, but I noticed that her eye lids are on the pale side. I do not have RedCell, but I do have SpecialCell for horses. Should I give her some of that the help rebuild her iron? Anything else I can do for her?

Thanks

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Yes on the blood builder, and maybe a B vitamin shot.
I'd have a followup fecal ran, just in case.

GladeCreek

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Yes on the blood builder, and maybe a B vitamin shot.
I'd have a followup fecal ran, just in case.
I will have a fecal done today. How much of the blood builder and B shot should I give? She is 16.5lbs.

Since I am not used to standard size breeds, I am assuming 16lbs for a 2 month old is not very much, right?

Marianne

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Had such difficulty with a doeling about 2 months and already small for her age. Don't know about the experience of others, would definitely provide blood builder, vitamin B, and probiotics; in addition, blackberry leaves were such a help for our little girl. She appeared to like them and nibbled on some one evening and again the next morning -- poof, the problem was gone and she started gaining weight thereafter. I was so convinced that blackberry bushes now grow in the greenhouse for leaves year round. Good Luck!

GladeCreek

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I wonder where I would get blackberry leaves...:/

Took in a fecal sample and even with 3 days of Albon she has a heavy load of Cocci. We have decided to go ahead and treat all the kids (10 total) for now and see what happens.

What about the adults? Should I worry about them getting it?

Thanks!

Marianne

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
With recent "newly purchased goat" experiences, I have had good success with Baycox/Toltrazuril for cocci. It's expensive, but thought you might like to know that Horse PreRace is offering discounted pricing during August (email at info@horseprerace.com). Great thing is that you give only one dose, it provides anticoccidial activity against different stages in the life cycles of the coccidia. Oh, blackberry leaves can be purchased on the internet; however, they grow most anywhere. Hope that baby's better.