Does sunlight affect our bunnies?

Smiles

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Our outdoor hutches are getting old and rickety. I built a 22' x 8' lean-to shed along one wall of our woodshed/barn last year and part of it is now the new chicken coop. I'm considering building new rabbit coops inside the other half of the lean-to shed. Since the new coops will be sorta "indoor" coops I'm wondering if the amount of sunlight will effect the lives of the rabbits. We only raise meat rabbits and I wonder if production will change.

I guess I could put a window and/or a skylite in the roof and wall of the shed. Hmmmmm.

doubled

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Some books say it does that they need 12 -14 hrs a day of light, mine are all outside in wire cages so they get whatever daylight is at that time of the year and I have not noticed any change in their breeding, but I also live in Central Florida where I usually don't have issues with temps or sun except for about a month or 2 each year cause of the heat. :thumbsup

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I on the other hand am in Missouri and have mine in a one sided shed you can see on my page. They are in hanging cages and face a heavy tree line which is about 6 or 7 ft from the front of their cages. In the winter time I do tarp the front to help protect them from blowing snow. It also gives me a bit more protection from the elements when its chore time.
I am not sure if it was lack of light or if DP slacked off a bit as I am the butcher in the house. We did not have many kits last winter. I am looking forward to seeing if it was light related. I am hoping it wasn't, as I am home this winter when I was not last winter. I will be able to be more involved in the rabbits this winter.
I am sure it does affect them though, as it does with other animals including chickens. They will slow down in production with shorter days. Most things I have read say it will, its just to what extent.
good luck in your venture. Its a lot of fun.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
I've read light does affect breeding with rabbits during the winter months. Less light, less the rabbit will mate. It's hardwired in rabbits not to breed during the winter months because of the cold and kits will not survive. You must remember they are still a wild animal. No matter if they do tricks or come when you call. It's hardwired into them.

I've read that some who raise rabbits indoors have lighting in their area all year round so that they will kindle all year round.

Hope this helps. :)