Drying doe off - final update

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I want to dry off my Alpine mix goat. She has been milking for 18 months now and I want to give her a break. I'm down to once a day and I'm getting 6-7 cups per milking. What is my next step?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
just take 3 cups now...then taper down to 1.5...then quit

I also take mine off grain OR reduce it considerably for the week or so I'm drying them off, to help them slack off.

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
wow! 18 months! thats a great milker!

it took me weeks to dry Debbie off.. i was to the every other day stage and she was still giving about half a gallon.

Nibbles gave me a mean look this morning when i was milking her. i think she's done with the whole thing.

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I also quit giving extra feed when drying off and I go to a good grass hay instead of alfalfa at that time.

I use the Fiascofarm way of milking, changing it according to how much my girls are giving me at dry off time. I start by milking every other day for two weeks, then milking every three days for two weeks, then milk every fourth day for a week or so. Most of my does are ready to be done at that point.

My last girl I dried off, a great milker, I ended up milking her every two days for a solid three weeks... she just didn't want to start letting up. I then milked her every third day for another 2 1/2 to 3 weeks and was finally able to go to every fourth day for about a week and a half. After the third, fourth day milking I milked her one last time five days later and was done.

I never milk all the way out when drying off and take less milk as the weeks progress.

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a maiden that is going on 12 months and a gal+ a milking. WILL NOT DRY OFF..... EVER.....<glares at goat>

Apparently some goats just don't get those "ow this sucks! stop making milk" signals.

She was hooked up to a milking machine as a yearling when the previous owner was out of town for a few weeks. Eventually she started producing milk and never stopped. Ever.

I'm hoping to breed her this year and kick her into a normal cycle of milk/dry.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I got this girl off of Craigslist. Wasn't sure I was going to buy her but when I got there, I knew I had to take her home. She was living by herself and really didn't have a shelter. We had a bad February last Feb and all she had for protection against the elements was a piece of plywood leaning against a chainlink fence. She was also thin. It was sort of a rescue but she wasn't in the dire straits that I have seen animals in. Turned out to be a real winner. We will see how it goes next year after she gives birth. I don't mind her going this long but then again I could use the extra colostrum for my alpaca birthing.

This summer she was giving me 3/4 of a gallon a day. I"m glad she is drying off because I think she really needs the break.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Since I have gone to milking once a day, I noticed that my doe's udder is a little lopsided. I wasn't too concerned because everything felt fine and the milk is still sweet. But then I got my Dairy Goat Journal yesterday and there was an article and the writer mentioned that her goats udders were lopsided at a show and they had mastitis. So this morning I tasted the milk out of each teat (not a fan of warm milk) and the milk still tasted sweet and like it always does with no lumps or anything. Do I have to worry about mastitis or is this normal when drying off a doe?

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have no real experience to help you, but could it be that you are quicker and stronger with one hand than the other? I'm much faster with my left hand (even though I'm right handed!) and end up milking out the right side much longer than the left. Maybe it's the same and you're pulling more out more quickly from the side that's lop-sided. :hu