Easy breed to show

polish101

Just born
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 10 year old sister and was looking for an easy breeed for her to show.

Jeremy

Penn state poultry major

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
polled herefords are usually real docile an easy to handle.but with her being 10.know she may need some help halter breaking the calf.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If your looking for a dairy breed I would say jersey and milking shorthorns are good temperments and easy to work with. Followed by holstein.

Being 10 she will probably need help halter breaking no matter the breed.

allenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If your wanting to show beef, Scottish Highlands are a good choice.
P1010863.jpg

polish101

Just born
Reaction score
I wioll be getting one with her so halter breaking should be no problem. the breed is going to be dairy.

jeremy

steerrider

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Jerseys can be flighty. Most of the people in our riding club that have bought them, never finished them for this reason. Drovers also don't choose them often. Holsteins are easy to come buy and seem to have the best temperment of the dairy breeds across the board from the results I have found in those trainig them to ride or draft.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
steerrider said:
Jerseys can be flighty. Most of the people in our riding club that have bought them, never finished them for this reason. Drovers also don't choose them often. Holsteins are easy to come buy and seem to have the best temperment of the dairy breeds across the board from the results I have found in those trainig them to ride or draft.
It's not recommended to ride any dairy breed--their backs are not made for riding. I've raised jerseys and have never found them flighty. I do believe the kind of showing they are looking for is teaching the animal to lead with a halter not draft or ride. Holsteins maybe easy to come by in some parts of the country but, not others and they don't have a better temperment than a jersey.

steerrider

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
In the IRSA there are many who have dairy breeds and they are ridden. In Europe they ride mainly dairy and mainly cows do to the fact that feeding steers is not economical.
They actually have after school riding programs over there for kids, all using cows and they are riding them into old age. Both by adults and children.
Here in the US steers are more popular, as you have the luxury of not dealing with heat cycles and calves. Dairy breeds make up about 50% of the International Riding steer assn here in the US, with Holstien being the most popular and Jersey being the least.
Crosses making up the middle ground.

55081cowjump.jpg

*Even though someone is not looking to actually ride an animal, doesn't mean that looking at the over all uses and history of a breed won't come into play when choosing a calm and trackable animal for a child. I do beleive that if you can ride one, then they certinly would also make a quiet choice for halter. *

chicken_boy_Kurt

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Woa that's pretty interesting that people actually ride cows. You learn something new everyday. :)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would think a big drawback for riding a jersey is they are smaller. Which could be good if it's a child or small person. You definately are educating us to a different side. I have always been taught that a dairy breed's back is not meant for ridding. I would guess you really need to pick your cattle closely for strength, temperment, etc.