Ewe with only one teat

Rustic Green Acres

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a first time Ewe, and she has only one teat working. The teat looks normal, it just doesn't produce milk. Is there any chance it will work next lambing?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Depends on why not working now. Is there milk in that side of udder? Have you tried milking it? Hot compresses?

ETA hopefully it's just a plugged orifice...and heat, moisture, suction pressure will clear it. Check tip for plug material. Hope it's a tame ewe!!

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That’s the best advice anyone could give you. If it doesn’t have milk coming out of the other test, you need to find out why.

Rustic Green Acres

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Depends on why not working now. Is there milk in that side of udder? Have you tried milking it? Hot compresses?

ETA hopefully it's just a plugged orifice...and heat, moisture, suction pressure will clear it. Check tip for plug material. Hope it's a tame ewe!!
I did try milking the right side and nothing came out, left side seems normal. The right side just never filled up.

Attachments

• Tanwen.jpg
    Tanwen.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 114

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe she had mastitis before you got her?
If she has plenty of milk on the one side, is raising her lamb, with no distress from the other side, then maybe it will be ok. Main thing is that she is not hot and feverish on the “empty “ side.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like it may be a development issue in her own body cells from conception and never change. The one side looks good! I'd just let her raise her lambs and keep check that there is no heat, pain to touch, etc on non working side. She may just have a "default".

She appears to be in excellent condition otherwise.

Last edited: