Eye infection??

_sonshine_

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I know my 3 week old bottle baby has some type of eye infection but IDK how to treat it. Her eye is swollen, it runs clear, and it has a cloudy spot. It is not crusty. What do I need to do to clear this up?? Should I treat my other doeling that has no symptoms?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
It sounds like just one eye?

It could be a condition known as 'entropian eye', where the lashes curl under / eyelid won't open completely. The lashes irritate the eye and cause an ulceration, resulting in cloudiness / pain / runny / crusty.

You can't always see it, either....some of the lashes are mighty fine.

A vet can stitch it for you, or use a clip made to correct the condition.

I've had good luck gently pulling they eyelids open several times a day (stretching, sort of) and putting eye ointment in them to keep them lubricated.

Not saying that's what it IS, just saying that's what it COULD be.

If it is in both eyes, it's more likely an infection of some sort, and I'd treat that w/ antibiotic eye ointment as well. 2-3 x a day until it clears up.

Is she running a fever?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would at least get some type of eye antibiotic ointment in her eye. You would want to put it in at least twice a day. Of course make sure it is for eyes.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
It sounds like just one eye?

It could be a condition known as 'entropian eye', where the lashes curl under / eyelid won't open completely. The lashes irritate the eye and cause an ulceration, resulting in cloudiness / pain / runny / crusty.

You can't always see it, either....some of the lashes are mighty fine.

A vet can stitch it for you, or use a clip made to correct the condition.

I've had good luck gently pulling they eyelids open several times a day (stretching, sort of) and putting eye ointment in them to keep them lubricated.

Not saying that's what it IS, just saying that's what it COULD be.

If it is in both eyes, it's more likely an infection of some sort, and I'd treat that w/ antibiotic eye ointment as well. 2-3 x a day until it clears up.

Is she running a fever?
I agree, sounds like entropian. Small ulcers are a common result. Tetracycline opthalmic ointment works well. And we've also had luck with just manually pulling the eyelid back into place as opposed to stitching.

The eye should clear up in just a few days!

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm gonna third the motion for entropion. If you can get it rolled out into the correct position, super.. If it goes back (which it might), it may need a stitch.

My vet did one lid for each of two goaties for me for $42, total. Bill listed $20 for 'minor surgery' and $1 in supplies, each.

Then again...my vet likes me. :lol:

Notice, too, that there was no charge for anesthetic...and, yeah, it was absolutely brutal to watch. The vet, on the other hand, was just like "So, how's everything going?!?" as he's ramming a needle through their eyelids while they're awake, screaming bloody murder. :lol: :th

No worse for wear, though. And their eyes cleared right up. :)

_sonshine_

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have been prying her little eye open 2-3x a day and her eye is not running and it is not swollen any more :) She is not at 100% but it looks sooooo much better! Thanks

_sonshine_

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well I asked the lady a the feed store what I could do for her eye and she also said Terramycin eye ointment but that stuff is hard to come by. I could not find it locally or online. So I used Erythromycin b/c they gave me that for my son (he is over a year old now) when he was born to prevent eye infections. I felt it was my best choice b/c I cant find a vet around here. Anyway with everything that I have been doing the eye is getting better!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Any antibiotic ointment, was all I meant...sounds like you covered it. Good deal.