eye- new kid

beepbeepinajeep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a 5 day old doeling that has one eye that has been tearing up and she's not opening it as much as the other eye. I don't see anything in her eye & it's not red. Could it be pink eye or did she probably just get something in it?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
She probably just got something in it. I would put Terramycin in her eye at least 3 times a day and see what happens.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Could also possibly be entropian eye.

http://www.goatwisdom.com/ch1baby_care/inverted_eyelids.html

I've taken one to the vet for stitches, which she promptly pulled out. Now I just pull the eyelashes a bit, and gently stretch the eyelid several times a day, and apply ointment like K Sal said. Sometimes the entropian / turned in eyelid is so barely turned in it's hard to tell, but it's usually what causes teary eyes in kids, at least here. :)

beepbeepinajeep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Can I get that ointment at a farm supply store, or will it have to be through a vet? I'm not sure I remember seeing antibiotic ointment for eyes before.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Farm stores carry Terramycin eye ointment, when they can get it.

I got some from my vet last week b/c nobody in town had any. (One of our does stuck a thorn in her eyeball...:rolleyes: )

To be real honest w/ you, I use the cheap dollar store triple antibiotic ointment (not cream) on kids eyes, though.....it's not labeled for eyes for liability reasons but we've never had a problem using it.

beepbeepinajeep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No luck with the eye ointment. Farm supply said they weren't allowed to sell the antibiotic eye ointment.... only vets were. I don't understand that because I can buy injectable antibiotics. I need to see a vet for disbudding anyway since our Rhinehart x50 is on backorder at Hoegger. I guess we'll just go tomorrow. Her eye isn't clearing up & looks a little matted.

beepbeepinajeep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Vet said he didn't think she had pink eye or the other eye would likely have been affected as well as the rest of the herd. He felt like she'd injured her eye. Gave us antibacterial eye drops to use. Her eye is staying open and less goopy now, but I notice part of the eye is clouded over. Does this mean she may have limited vision in that eye or just that it is injured and needs to heal?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I'd still almost promise you it's entropian. I've seen a lot of kids eyes w/ that problem. I'd gently stretch the eye and keep putting ointment in 2-3x a day.
The cloudiness is caused by continued irritation from the (often unseen) eyelashes rubbing. If not corrected, it could affect her vision.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
My first thought was entropion as well. It's weird your feed store doesn't sell it--I've seen teramycin ointment in my feed store before. A little FYI...entropion is also genetic, so I wouldn't keep her for breeding as it may be passed down to her kids.