Feeding questions- Chaffhaye & going on vacation...

JusticeFamilyFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi there! I have 2 questions for you feeding experts!
Have you heard of Chaffhaye and do any of you feed it as your goat's primary feed?
(www.chaffhaye.com)
Second- if you are out of town for 2-3 days, can the goats be left with auto waterers and a hay supply, or will they eat all the hay the first day and then be hungry? I would assume we'd have to have some one come feed them twice a day while we're gone, but thought I'd ask as I've gotten lots of different answers from people around here.
Ok, I guess I'll throw a third question in- do you feed your goats twice a day? Less? More?

We're in the decision process- we don't have any goats yet- but we're looking into some Boer X or Nubian X wethers for pets and weed control. Thanks for any advice you can give! :)

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
1. Don't know about that product...

2. Yup, have someone come twice a day. Too much can go wrong....even a goat getting stuck somewhere or cut or something, never mind the feed! They do like fresh food and water. What if a mouse dies in the waterer? Or worse, one of 'em poops in it? :p

3. I change water twice a day, sometimes more often in extreme weather. I fill hay racks/bags twice a day, unless I'm kicking them out into the pasture, then only confined goats get hay. I grain as needed....thin goats get grain twice a day, those with a slight need get grained once a day, and lactating does get grained twice a day when milked. I grain individually.

Hope this helps, and :welcome

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Although I haven't used Chaffhaye, I have some friends that do and absolutely LOVE it. And I 3rd what Free said. :)