First Goats

tcmers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
After two years of preparation and planning, our first goats are home. We have three fainter wethers, all about 8-9 weeks old. They are spending a lot of time lounging in the shelter, probably due to the new surroundings and the 85 degree temps. We'll keep you posted on how they are doing!

Goats.jpg

In-The-Barn.jpg

In-The-Pasture.jpg

I-Fell-Down.jpg

tcmers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Catahoula said:
Can't imagine planning/preparation for two years! Your patience has paid off. They are really cute.
Well, we started from scratch. No fencing, no barn, etc. Two years is actually a bit of a stretch. We set the fence posts in the fall (fenced about two acres of pasture) , then strung wire, built the shelter, ran power, etc. last summer. Everything was ready by last fall, but we decided that spring babies made more sense so we waited. :)

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
tcmers said:
Catahoula said:
Can't imagine planning/preparation for two years! Your patience has paid off. They are really cute.
Well, we started from scratch. No fencing, no barn, etc. Two years is actually a bit of a stretch. We set the fence posts in the fall (fenced about two acres of pasture) , then strung wire, built the shelter, ran power, etc. last summer. Everything was ready by last fall, but we decided that spring babies made more sense so we waited. :)
I couldn't wait... We also started from scratch.... Picked out the goats and gave ourselves 1.5 months to build a shelter and pen. We have our goats now and we are still trying to fence off 4 acres but decided to do 2 first so at least they can come out and play. Still working on it.... If I had really planned out like you did or thought harder about the shelter...knowing what I know now, I would build a bigger shelter or even a barn.... so I can have more goats!

tcmers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Catahoula said:
tcmers said:
Catahoula said:
I couldn't wait... We also started from scratch.... Picked out the goats and gave ourselves 1.5 months to build a shelter and pen. We have our goats now and we are still trying to fence off 4 acres but decided to do 2 first so at least they can come out and play. Still working on it.... If I had really planned out like you did or thought harder about the shelter...knowing what I know now, I would build a bigger shelter or even a barn.... so I can have more goats!
Yes, it always seems like no matter how big you build, it just wasn't big enough! lol Love the dog in your avatar. Wouldn't be without a Catahoula in the house. Here's a pic of our boy.

384031_2310371558629_1229554383_31884311_1959309168_n.jpg

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
tcmers said:
Catahoula said:
tcmers said:
Yes, it always seems like no matter how big you build, it just wasn't big enough! lol Love the dog in your avatar. Wouldn't be without a Catahoula in the house. Here's a pic of our boy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...71558629_1229554383_31884311_1959309168_n.jpg
Beautiful...

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
lol, you were much more patient then I was, I bought, put up the fence and build the goat hut one day and picked up my goats the next day.