Free Choice Soda Bicarb

Goatlady10

Just born
Reaction score
I am new at raising goats, but already can't imagine my life without them. :) I've got the free choice minerals down, but I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion how to free choice baking soda so it won't harden or clump. I don't have a barn, just two shelters for my 11 goats, mostly Boers and a three Nubians. Thanks

churchx3

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I put mine in a container right next to the loose minerals. Just put a small amount as you will need to change it out every couple of days due to hardening...

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't give it free choice anymore, just offer them some once in a while.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I don't recommend free choice bicarb... The only real use for bicarb is in bloat and FKS treatment (in other words, not prevention), in which case you dose as needed.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
I used to offer it free choice, but later discovered that two of mine had quite the copper deficiency. Now that minerals are the only free choice item, they eat that for salt and not the baking soda. Everyone is jet black who is supposed to be jet black.

TheSheepGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've never heard of offering free choice baking soda before, so naturally haven't ever and everdody's doing just fine.

I can see why you would want to, but you really don't need to.

Is it just to prevent bloat or is there another benifit?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
I don't offer free choice baking soda. If the animals are getting a proper diet, they won't need it. Don't fix what ain't broke. ;)

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
helmstead said:
I don't recommend free choice bicarb... The only real use for bicarb is in bloat and FKS treatment (in other words, not prevention), in which case you dose as needed.
:thumbsup

Greendecember

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
I don't offer free choice baking soda. If the animals are getting a proper diet, they won't need it. Don't fix what ain't broke. ;)
The lady I got my goats from was adimate about having soda free choice. I bought some but never did put it out and they seem to be fine without it. I keep it around the house anyway so if they ever need it I am sure I will have it. :hide

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:frow Welcome to BYH!!

I too, do not offer free choice baking soda...only loose minerals. I believe as well, it is not preventative and should be used when dealing with bloat and the such. And I will mix it with water and a small amount of molasses when needed. That way Im positive they gulp it down!! :)

Ive also read that its not good for the bucks/whethers as free choice cuz their UC issues.

So I would definatley keep some in the house for when its needed...but I would not recomend offering it free choice. Just not necessary...I believe.

Enjoy your goaties!!!