Full Circle

CTW

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello to anyone that cares to read this. Just to make things perfectly clear, I do not currently have my own back yard or herd. I do however have four beautiful Buff Orphington hens, one buff rooster, and a hen and rooster that are a mix of buff and Barred Rock. I am being honest when I say buffs are my favorites, but there is no denying that the buff/rock rooster is a beautiful bird. However, almost every day I threaten to put him in a pot! I will attempt to attach pictures.
It has been a few years now since I had to leave my own little farm but hardly a day goes by that I don’t think of Daisy (momma goat), Billy (the male goat), and Lavern, Shirley, and Hootie (the babies. I had just moved to Cassett SC and started a new job. One of the ladies I worked with insisted I allow her to give me house warming gift of Daisy and Billy. About three months later…. She thought it was funny that she had bred Daisy to another of her male goats. (Billy was very young with just little nubs for horns). Well, Daisy blessed this green horn goat owner with triplets! I had also accumulated about 30 chickens that I absolutely adored. We were one big happy family until we weren’t anymore. I had to get rid of my animal babies and sell off almost everything I had.
I still managed to have lots of pets, but never my farm animals.
My son and I will be formally buying the land that belonged to my parents.
As we southerners say, I am getting a little long in the tooth. (That means I have a few years behind me). I’m still more than able to take care of myself and some farm animals.
My issues now will be getting animals that can be able to help pay for themselves and still allow me some much wanted farm furr babies. I was raised on a farm and learned at an early age to appreciate and how to take care farm animals. I must say that I am more interested in the mini animals. There are lots of reasons why. I’m fond of goats, alpacas, donkeys, and cows. We already have an abundance of chickens.
Gardening and canning are things I have always done, so that will not be a problem.
Well, if you have hung in there till now, you know all you need to know about me.
One more thing…I will only have about 1.5 acres to carve out my little piece of heaven on earth in my twilight years. My son is in my corner for what ever I want. Thanks, CTW

Attachments

• IMG_1151.jpeg
    IMG_1151.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1147.jpeg
    IMG_1147.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 70

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from VA!! To BYH and back to farm life 🥰 many of us are living our best farm life in our "prime" years. You'll fit right in 👍.

Love your handsome boys...and gardening/canning are part of most of our lives. Yep, lotsa old school lifestyles being enjoyed here.😊

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome also from Va... but I am on the other side of the state in the Blue Ridge Mts area....

Also well into my "Prime" years.... Chickens, some sheep, a cow/calf operation run with my DS, garden and canning, etc also...have had most all other breeds of farm animals...

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
As we southerners say, I am getting a little long in the tooth. (That means I have a few years behind me). I’m still more than able to take care of myself and some farm animals.
Tut, tut, tut! No one is "long in the tooth" here - we are all in our Prime. As one of our BYH family you are officially in your Prime! Those years behind us are what gives us wisdom!

Welcome!