general alpaca questions

ericajune

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So the boys have been here a week...and it has been an eventful week to say the least.....at their previous home..Mancha was head of herd....once here the little Cruiser seemed to take over....now tonight as I m sitting in the pasture Mancha and Stormy are really going at it....Do they ever play fight? Or is Mancha climbing his way back to top?.... it finaaly stopped after a few minutes but was scarey for a sec or two...

Next question is about feed....they have tons of grass...have orchard grass in am and pm and in pm they get Mazuri alpaca pellets......my question is....will they eat too much orchard grass or pellets if they r given the chance? How much of each would u give? There popped r not perfect little round balls...some is goopy...hope that isn't too graphic....is that a sign of too much orchard grass or pellets?

Thanks!!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Alpacas can eat all the hay they want. That is not a problem. If given the chance, they will eat too much feed. If these are just fiber males, they really don't need much feed.

As far as fecals, it could be the change in home. When was the last time they were wormed? You may want to have a fecal done and worm appropriately.

Boys fight. Especially if they are intact. Are these gelded males? If they aren't, then if they are 18 months or older, I would have them gelded. As long as there is no blood, then you are ok.