Goat for beginners

Mammawannagoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My hubby and I are talking about getting a few goats. The main reason for them is grass/shrub/briar control in one area of our yard. That said, I would like to try my hand at milking but wouldn't necessarily do it every year. I guess maybe we'd start with a pregnant doe and a couple other girls. What breed would you recommend. I'd like to avoid dwarfs as I've heard they are difficult to milk. I'm not interested in having a buck either. I know someone with goats who would 'loan' me a buck for a month or so if I wanted to milk again. Doesn't their muskiness make the does milk taste stronger?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
:welcome

I would suggest going to local farms and spending time with the different dairy goats and see what you like. You will get lots of opinions on the different dairy goats but it ultimately will depend on what you like.

Since there is a local farm where you can borrow a buck, I would start there.

Good luck with your search.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have LaManchas, mini-LaManchas, and an Alpine, and the Manchas are my favorites. They're a little unusual looking, but are very friendly and have a personality just like a nice big dog. They are always happy to see anyone, wagging their tails and talking to us and following us around. They're easy to milk, give a lot of milk (1 gallon plus per doe each day from our full size girls), and the milk has a high butterfat which makes it very rich and sweet. It makes a wonderful ice cream!

If you can borrow a buck to breed your girls, that is a good option. I have heard from some people that having a buck around the does can make their milk have an "off" flavor from his smell getting onto the does, but I have not experienced it. Then again, my bucks are both young and not very stinky yet. If you are having one come to your farm and you are worried about that, keep him in a separate pen (although...good luck keeping him in, they're good at escaping!) and only let him around the does for a day or two at a time when they are ready to breed. Also, that way, you know when they are bred so you know their due dates.

Mammawannagoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We wouldn't need a ton of milk. We do a gallon in about 3-4 days. I like the thought of making ice cream with the excess we don't drink!

I did a milk tasting of various types of milk with my scouts and one of the milks was goat. All the kids tried it, most liked it, but the parents all smelled it first and wouldn't try it! For me it had the consistency of whole milk which I don't usually drink (1%) with a stronger flavor than milk.

Is there a flavor difference between goat breeds, milk wise?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I'm quite fond of Oberhasli and their milk is good. Such ladies.
Nubian milk is sweet....but they can be a bit loud at times.
I don't care much for Togg milk but my husband says it's in my head since I don't like his Toggs at all.
Ice cream from goat milk is the bomb.com....NUMMY.

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Me loooves me toggs :) sweet, cuddly and quiet. They are the only breed I've owned, so what do I know... but the milk tastes good to me:)

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've heard that Toggenburgs tend to have stronger tasting milk that is better for cheesemaking than drinking, but I've never had milk from one.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Our Toggs are from an evil line of Toggs who NEVER.SHUT.UP....Ever.

OK, maybe for the 2-3 mos they're dry they're not AS loud....but the rest of the time they bellow like a constipated mule.

MuhmuuuuuuhMUUUUUUUUUUUH the entire time I'm in the barn, even if they've already been milked...they just never hush...and they have big voices. I like a quiet peaceful barn and...they won't have it.

They are affectionate, but I can't get past their noise factor. I know not all Toggs are this way, but these two are mother / daughter and obnoxious.

They're also the ones who push the barn door open at least once a day and try and get on the stand, even if someone else is on it....and any of you who milk know how well THAT goes over.

When I hear people talking about "Bottle goats who grow up to be in your face and annoying all the time"...I see their faces.
And all our goats are bottle babies, so I'm used to annoying goats....I even prefer 'in your face' goats.
Oh, but these two....

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
We had an Alpine doe growing up, she was a nice goat. Pretty laid back and quiet. We only had her for a few years before my sister decided to sell her. Then we got 2 Nubian/Alpine crosses. The doe was a handful. Always escaping, always into trouble, in your face, etc. I've heard it was because of the Nubian influence. Who knows. The wether was like that too, just not quite as bad. I also had a Togg wether. He was pretty quiet, but I got him as an adult so I'm not sure how he was raised (I'm thinking he was kept alone much of the time). Now I have an Oberhasli doe, and I love her to bits. She's quiet, if she does talk it's a very soft mmmm to call me or say she wants food. She's not a trouble maker at all (though she was dam raised so she's not very "in your face" much). She loves attention and will stand next to you to get scratches and loving.

So, out of the breeds I've had experience with, I'll probably stick with Oberhaslis. I love Nubian ears, but I don't want the noisy trouble makers. ;) I've heard LaManchas are nice, but I'm sorry...their weird faces just freak me out. :lol: The togg I had was dull, so I probably won't get a togg again. And Saanens are just too plain for me. :/

Those are just my weird observations. :D

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Don't let the earless LaManchas freak you out. Once you look at them every day, you get used to them. I actually think Nubians look a little weird now, look too much like tall hound dogs.

To each their own.

My neighbor and I keep our goats together. My LaManchas are very friendly and quiet, the Toggenburgs are sweet and quiet though not quite as friendly but they are very laid back. Her Saanens almost fall over each other trying to get petting or attention. They are more vocal, their voices are a little louder but very affectionate. She used to have some Nubians and Nigerian Dwarfs. Those two are quite talkative.

Let us know what you get

Latest posts