• Yes....GREAT!!!

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm trying to convince my mom it is okay to start milking our goats and drinking it and all her negativity towards it is making me question it. I don't want to get sick from it. We will be pastuerizing it because I don't like totally raw milk. I have been breeding Nigerian Dwarfs for quite a few years now and I have never even thought about milking them but wanted to start so I could make cheese and drink the milk instead of all that grocery store stuff. Can anybody tell me whether it would be okay to drink it or not?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Humans have been drinking goat milk for thousands of years! I'd be surprised if you get a negative response here on BYH ;)

Edit to say: except for certain breeds/individual animals who have a very "goatie" tasting milk that some do NOT like.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you might be surprised at how GOOD it actually is! Nigi milk is sweet and delicious! Good luck with convincing your mom!

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks!! I have no doubt it will be good but she's afraid I'm going to get sick.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
we have Nigerian Dwarfs, this will be our 2nd year milking- we pasteurize and drink it, plus make cheese and ice cream! Each doe's milk tastes differently, we tried each one separately before mixing all together.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
First the flavor of the milk depends on feed type, hay, as well as breed. Nigerians usually have very creamy sweet milk.

Keep in mind if you like skim milk or 2% this may be way to rich and creamy for you.

Another factor in the flavor is how fast you chill the milk!

We also pasteurize!

Cannot tell you why and many say it should not make a difference but I can taste any thing "off"... and this is what I have found.

First strain milk and immediately CHILL! Chill it as fast as you can. If you get a pint or a quart (you mention a Nigie) throw it in the freezer for 30 minutes then move to fridge. CHILLLLLLLLL!

Then at anytime that day or next pasteurize- stove top is easiest for small amounts ( up to a gallon) using a double boiler. Heat milk to 162 degrees, once there heat for 15 seconds.

Now pour that milk into a chilled ss bowl that is surrounded on the outside by ice! Stir stir stir so you chill that milk fast! As fast as you can get it to 45 degrees the better... put in fridge to finish cooling.

That first chilling step before the pasteurizing is the one everyone says you don't need... you can just throw it in a pot and heat to pasteurize... not sure why but it makes a big taste difference for me.

Anyway through lactation their milk may slightly change as they will have a peak for butterfat.

If a Nigies milk taste off then there is something not right- a friend had a Nigie kid out and they don't like the milk... they have other goats so they were perplexed... I mentioned this to @babsbag and she mentioned cobalt... cobalt deficiency can cause off taste.
I had forgotten all about it. That is why we goaties share! :D

I have tasted NASTY goats milk.... usually from does that have a buck running with them.

JohnP

Herd lurker
Reaction score
"I have tasted NASTY goats milk.... usually from does that have a buck running with them."

What do attribute that to?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
A buck that is in rut will stink, really really stink and they pee on themselves frequently. The does will rub on them, they love the buck "perfume" and that odor will permeate everything and it doesn't come off easily. I doe can start to smell almost as bad as the buck and the odor just seems to "stick" to the milk. Some say that even having the buck in the vicinity can affect the flavor of the milk but that has not been my experience. My buck lives in an adjoining pen and I don't have a problem with nasty milk.

I personally don't chill my milk before pasteurizing if I am pasteurizing immediately after milking but I would try it both ways and see if you can tell a difference. I don't intend to chill completely for the dairy either, I will take it to the pasteurizer ASAP. It make no sense financially or time wise for me to chill and then heat it up again. Of course if it does taste different then I will have to change my plans.

If you milk in a clean manner, chill, and pasteurize you should have no worries about getting sick.

Last edited: