goat not producing milk

miron28

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
i have a goat that gave birth yesterday and she hasn't produced and milk
so i went and got some colostrum and milk replacer. do you think the babies will make it? and why isn't she producing any milk? also she had them 2 weeks early.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Giving birth 2 weeks early could be the problem. Is she a first time freshener? That may be the problem too. As long as you are feeding the kids on a regular schedule, there is no reason why they shouldn't make it.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Do you know her history at all? Did she have milk before? Is this the first time for her giving birth for you?

miron28

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
no this is her 3 time giving birth but this the first time ever that she has not produced any milk i have had her for about 5 years since she was 7weeks old never been sick or anything

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Hum, that is a tough one. Did she go through any stress or anything? Is she overweight? I know in alpacas that an overweight alpaca may not produce milk because of fatty deposits in the udder. Hopefully someone with more goat experience will pipe in. I just know the basics. I hope the kids are doing fine.

I'm assuming since you have had goats for at least 5 years that she doesn't have any obvious udder problems like mastitis or anything.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How does her udder feel? Is it hard/lumpy/hot? What is she eating? Most does will produce milk if they have not had mastitis and are getting the right things to eat. You might want to put her on straight alfalfa and some Calf Manna, both can help with milk production.

miron28

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
she finally started to produce milk on Tuesday i had to put one of the baby's down. i came out one day and she could not walk for some reason her left side legs were stiff and all she did was lay there. she was healthy she like a pig. the other one is up and playing.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about losing the one kid. I hope the other one does just fine.

Also glad that the milk finally came in. I bet it was due to being early.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry you lost one, sounds like it needed BoSE. I'm glad her milk is finally coming in.