Goats and Sheep feeding

Reaction score
I have 3 katahdin ewe's ( 1 Pregnant) and 1 ram along with a boer doe ( pregnant) along with 3 fainting does ( 1 possibly pregnant) along with 1 fainter buck and 1 whether lamanche. My question is they have gotten by fine on pasture since I have had them in the warmer months but now that it is getting colder and the pasture isnt growing as much what do I need to do ? yesterday I feed them a half square bale of mixed grasses of good quality and they seemed to eat most of it but left some behind which tells me that a half bale is probably enough a day but do I need to feed them grain still ? or is the hay good enough ? Also I have no salt block, should I put one out ? Everything I have read thus far seems to contradict each other. :/

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are they all together? Are they all in good condition now? Will your part of the country get so cold that their pasture will become totally non-supporting?

Pregnant animals, rams, wethers can all have different nutritional needs. The expectant mothers will likely need more nutritional support as they progress in their pregnancy and when they are raising babies. It is quite probable that they will need grain during those times. I'd watch their body condition very closely as it's hard to play 'catch-up' with a lactating mom.

Bucks/rams that are being heavily used might also need a little grain as they sometimes forget to eat. The wether might not need anything more than extra hay he's already getting.

Sorry, this is not much of a definite answer, huh? The best answer is to watch them closely and try to keep them from losing condition. Giving them the hay is a good start, but my guess is that, at least, the expectant mamas will need some supplemental grain.

Definitely put out salt/minerals. If you've got sheep and goats together I'd go with a sheep mineral, but you need to find a way to get your goats a more complete mineral supplement that has some copper.

bcnewe2

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken Goats need something different in their minerals. And of course Sheep can't have any added cooper. I'm sure a goat person will chime in.

I feed all my sheep the same. If it's cold and not much to eat they all get grain. It grows my lambs and helps grow my pregnant ewes. The rams just get extra along with them.

I go by body condition on how much. But usually a flake to 2 flakes a day of mixed grass hay. If it was alfalfa I'd be more sparing, probably only a flake a day each with added grain in the cold or during pregnancy. As far as the grain, not to much probably only 2 handfuls per animal unless someone is really thin then I'd separate the thin one(s) and feed extra everything.

I think it's more an art not a science for me. But others are way more exact.

This is what works for me.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
As of right now, I would keep them on pasture. Once it runs out, start feeding them hay...2% bodyweight for sheep and 3% bodyweight for goats. Your bred animals will require grain during late gestation and probably more hay, too. With bred animals, DEFINITELY provide some sort of loose mineral because vit and min deficiencies can cause birth defects and weak/dead newborns.