goats milk cheese question

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I made my first batch of basket cheese and a batch of feta over the wkend. Today my daughter came home from college and I offered her a taste. She asked if it's pasturized. I said no and she said that it's very dangerous to use unpasturized milk for cheese.

How many of you use raw milk for cheese making?

edit to add....she's a (new) dietician.

the simple life

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I haven't been pasturizing my goat milk but that is one of the reasons I got dairy goats, so I could have raw milk.
Pasturizing milk started because of the amount of dairy farms that were in a concentrated area thus causing disease to spill over onto the cattle and into milk.
If you have healthy animals and your facility is clean I really don't see a problem with it.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I use raw milk for my goat cheese. Also throw in some herbs, lemon pepper, salt (after it's done) and it's delicious.

DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Believe me, it only gets worse, my daughter thinks I don't know sicum, but she calls me when the chips are down. LOL.

DonnaBelle

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
we are all raw milk all the time - never had a problem. but everytime i get thru drive thru i get sick for 3 days

there is tons of research out there on raw milk - pros and cons. educate yourself so you can make the right decision for you. everyone had a different stand on it.

also if you brine the feta for 90 days (or is it 60??) even the regulatory agencies cant complain

my feta didnt take great until it aged for a couple months. now its heavenly

good luck!

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've been eating the feta made last wkend. I have a recipe for marinated feta in the Mary Jane Toth book. I'm not afraid of raw milk. Grew up on it. Just have no experience with cheese from it.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Raw all the way, here! Pastuerized milk makes me VERY sick. My doctor told me about raw milk. It took me over a year of research...ok, more like two years....before I got brave enough to try it. Really, a tiny sip of milk would make me SOOOO sick, and to purposely drink it RAW??? No way!

Way.

I drank it for a year, ate raw cheese, yogurt, kefir, butter, etc. As much as my goat could produce and I could make into something edible (besides starting my day, every day, with a pint of milk still warm from the goat) I stuffed myself with raw milk and raw dairy products.

I went 2-3 months without raw milk, and some of my symptoms returned. So much so that I plan to not breed one of my goats this fall so I can milk her through and not be without raw milk. How's that for a testimonial?

I did most of my research on www.westonapricefoundation.org. There are enough citations at the end of each article to satisfy any open-minded reader who actually looks them up. If you are stubborn like I was, that is. :p

Latest posts